• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tactical Vehicles and snowplowing videos and TM's?

cx65083

Help!
I'm in an on-going "debate" with my father about the use of tactical vehicles and snowplows. HE CLAIMS to have read THE ACTUAL manual for MY truck and snowplow that would have been put on it. He further states that THE MANUAL states to not plow more than 10" of snow at a time if possible and not more than 16" at any time. o_O
He also refuses to give the TM number or page number he gleaned this Information from..... BIG surprise. <rolls eyes>

I've been looking for days. The TM's for my 1971 M813a1 mention a tiny bit about operating in the snow and after operating in the snow. Nothing about snow plows.

I've seen plows mounted to stake bed trucks and non-tactical trucks while I was in the Corps (89-93) Never on a Tactical vehicle. I'm not saying they didn't, I just never saw it. <while in service>

My question: Is there a snow plow system that was installed on tactical vehicles, whether it be 5 tons or a Deuce? And is there a TM for it? I am aware of MANY trucks that have been Modified after service with plows and I DO know that some units are modifying Plow system to fit their trucks. Such as the case in Fiji Japan. They have 4 ways plows mounted to Humvee s to plow streets on base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjtTdp3UzcI

So after my failed search to find TM I don't think exists, I went looking for Videos of tactical vehicles plowing snow. I was able to find a few. Does anybody have good videos of using their 5 ton to snowplow deep snow?

I know we've had impressive snow falls over the last few weeks. And more is expected. Get out there and get some great videos and post em here!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No, no plows installed on tac vehicles from the factory. If he can't give you the TM, I doubt he found it. Yes, some of the members here have installed plows. Jatonka comes to mind. I think he put a "belly blade" on one too.

DanDan

Where I come from 10" of snow is quite a bit to plow at once. I would think that any vehicle would be stressed plowing more than that so it is probably a good rule of thumb to keep it to that.

cx65083

I've seen a LOT of snow plows added to peoples truck after they were sold on auction. I have never seen a "military" plow added to a currently active duty tactical vehicle!
As I said. I found ONE bulletin for the Humvee kit that some unit in "arctic conditions". But not for ANY 5 ton (of any vintage or series) or Deuce.

cx65083

Cool. Besides the Humvee kit, this is the first actual kit with an NSN for a Tactical vehicle. of course, it's only a 2.5 ton truck, not a 5ton as I have. And since it's only a 2.5 ton truck with a 9' plow... I can see being told to plow at 10" or below.
But still. A 5 ton. 22K pounds. 6x6 with a 12' plow. How can that be limited to 10"? Someone on here posted his Deuce with a 12 footer plowing more than that easily! I can't see anything under 6ft putting too much stress on a 5ton!

cx65083

I know.....I'm the one who posted the link..... Also, the plow shown in the link is not an angled(not sure the proper name?) plow like the one in the picture I posted.

Sorry about that Derrick112, wasn't looking at the screen names. Darn it, the nomenclature of the tapered plow blade escapes me at the moment. But they are mainly used on highway trucks where the idea is to lift and throw the snow in only one direction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks