• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tag issue

FreightTrain

Banned
Got my renewal notice today from the state of Alabama and on the top it stated that i gotta supply a DOT number to renew.Does anyone know a way around this other than an antique tag?Only 2 options I have is Commercial tags and Antique tags.With Antique I can't drive it but to shows.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't know anything about Alabama law, but if it is not commercial then it should not need a DOT number.

FreightTrain

Banned
well,I don't want to plaster DOT numbers and crap all over my deuce an a half.keep it as original looking as possible.Even NOT FOR HIRE is off limits for me.

GunTruckBuilder

Tell you what. In the space for your DOT number write "N/A". Mail it back and see what happens. Worst case scenario they mail it back to you as incomplete and you're out the price of a stamp.

poppop

Anyway you can claim to be a farmer and this is a farm truck?? In Ga I don't have DOT numbers for my two Semi's, am exempt from roadtax because I drive each less than 7500 miles a year, and don't have to have a CDL as long as I haul only my on stuff.

FreightTrain

Banned
I never expected this.2002 and 2003 I had commercial tags on this truck and was never required to get a DOT number or anything....Guess i will play with them a little.Go by in a few weeks and try to renew.Play the I ain't commercial just drive a big Toy game with them......

rmgill

Federal law does NOT require a DOT number. In fact, it specifically excludes them. Under federal law our vehicles are ONLY commercial if used for a business.

FreightTrain

Banned
Guess I will have to play with the tag goober.Hope I don't end up having anohter one of those,"Government workers are idiots" stories you hear so much about.....

2027Deuce

I don't know about Alabamba but here I go with farm tags, I even have them on the semi. Also with commercial tags and a DOT you may be opening up a can of worms with your insurance. An expensive can! Our semi is not for hire so it works for me. You may want to purchase a pair of bib overalls or throw a bag of seed corn in you truck. Ha. Remember it is usually easier to get forgiven than permission. Good Luck. Scott

123mack

I'm in Chilton county Al an got a letter like that from the state DOT saying that records showed that I had a truck weight over xx pounds had to get a dot number blah blah blah. Except if it was for personal use, so I never filed for a number. Havn't had any trouble getting a tag. One of our club members regestered. his M211 as a GMC truck and has a regular pickup tag. Has had for years . Mine is a 1967 M35A2 Jeep.

rmgill

The problem with going with a farm type tag is that you're now trying to look like an exempted class of commercial vehicles. You'll be fine as long as you're 150-200 miles from home. Get out of state and 500+ miles away and you could be charged with NOT having a commercial license when you're supposed to. Its a dodge that usually works BUT if it doesn't work it really doesn't work.

Check out 390.3 sub section f.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/390.3.htm

(f) Exceptions. Unless otherwise specifically provided, the rules in this subchapter do not apply to —(f)(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;

Then checkout part 383.5, definitions
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...sr/fmcsrruletext.asp?section=383.5#49CFR383.5

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle-

If your state folks say you need a DOT number because the feds say so, there it is in black and white explaining why you don't. 390 covers marking, DOT numbers paperwork and other materials. 383 covers licenses and other standards for licenses across Commercial Motor Vehicles and their operators.

CGarbee

In NC, the DMV uses the same tag renewal form for everyone (I suspect most states do this as it saves a lot of money...) so you get a blank for the DOT number even on those registrations that don't need one. Every one has instructions on the back forwalk in, mail in, and online renewal (and a little line at the very bottom of the form that states that you can't use on-line renewal if it weighs over 10k lbs...). When you get a tag renewal sticker and the updated registration card you spot a note about IFTA stickers on the card even if you are registering a two axle vehicle (since the note is based on weight on the assumption that most heavy vehicles have three or more axles...).

So, I'd go with the N/A in the blank. It lets them know that you didn't forget to fill out the form completely and alerts them that you are exempt from having the number. It should go right through (especially since it has been done before without one and the file should pop right up when it is keyed in...), but if not, just explain politely to the person at the DMV office why you don't need one. If you go in with an attitude, and piss off the clerk, you'll just tick them off and they'll look for ways to make life difficult...

FreightTrain

Banned
ok,Guess I will go down there and pay the $256 bucks and tell them no DOT number and you can't make me get one....Tough!Really wish we had a Heavy non commercial plate here.Something for people like us.That have basically a Commercial Vehicle but only used for Personal Enjoyment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks