• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate and bedside removal

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am getting ready to move some big pieces of scrap to the recycle center. I want to remove the tailgate and bed sides. Are the hinge pins supposed to be able to be "punched out", or are they attached to the gate/bed? I have most of the cotter pins out, just need to drill a couple that broke off. I think I want to use hitch pins when I put them back on. Anyone else use something other than cotter pins?

gimpyrobb

Oh, also, I have been thinking about notching my bed skirt so that I can use the empty space above the frame, but under the bed. Anyone else ever do this? I'm probably going to put a hinge on the piece once I cut it, to use as a door. I think I might try to make a trolly or metal box to go in that space for additional storage.

gimpyrobb

Ok, on my passenger side bedside, 3 of the pins tapped right out, the two closest to the rear of the truck are starting to "mushroom" the pin. Should I just cut the pin and drill out whats left? Anyone run into these issues?

yeager1

Ok, on my passenger side bedside, 3 of the pins tapped right out, the two closest to the rear of the truck are starting to "mushroom" the pin
Robb,
If you have one, try using an automatic (spring loaded) center punch. It delivers a small, but very high speed impact that has the vibration needed break loose rust and friction much better then a hammer and punch. And it also doesn't mushroom them out as bad.

DavidB

I had stuck pin also ,sawsall them in half and remove the side or end gate. Then you will have better access to remove the rest .I made new pins from tent stakes and used lots of lube when replaced.
DavidB

ALFA2

gimpyrobb, I agree with DavidB, as I had one like that too, and that is the easiest way, plus you are avoiding additional damage to the hinge from trying to beat it out of there, in place. Once the pin starts to mushroom, it will not come out properly, until you file it back some, so it is simpler to get at it when the gate is off the truck, then drill it out and you're good to go with your new pins.

ALFA2

Barrman

Do you mean that you want to cut a hatch above the pintle at the rear and close in the sides above the frame? Just like a 5 ton does for ladders and such? Sounds like a good idea.