• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate assist

bones1

I have done my hood strut mod and they work great now I was wondering if anyone has put spring assist on the tailgate?. Maybe a couple torsion springs like on trailer ramps but smaller. The only thing that might cause a problem is the tailgate opening 180 degrees.

bones1

Yeah,..trying to avoid a hernia. I have thought about retractable cable setup or a small electric winch...who makes very small electric winches?.do you have a link to picture?.

mckeeranger

Yeah,..trying to avoid a hernia. I have thought about retractable cable setup or a small electric winch...who makes very small electric winches?.do you have a link to picture?.
This would be much to lightweight for a deuce tailgate. It's for a mid-fifty Ford truck, or the like. The tailgate is around 35 pounds.

The winch is actually under the bed, what you see in the picture just covers a pulley and guide.

Mid-Fifty truck parts: Mid Fifty F-100 Parts - Tailgate Power Kit, Alum

How about the winch for a four wheeler, or something like that? You could make your own cover and pulley system.

Superwinch LT2000 ATV Winch, 2,000 lbs Superwinch Winches 1120210

Come to think of it, it would have to be a reversible winch, or at least you would need some sort of braking system for lowering the gate.

Have you considered using a linear actuator? When I first pondered this my mind went to hydraulics but that would be way to involved for this application (unless you already have hydraulics on the truck that you could tap into (think M35A3 W/W)). A linear actuator would work roughly the same way but since they are electrically driver, installation would be much less involved (especially if you could find one that was 24 volt).

Attachments

Last edited:

bones1

tailgate spring.jpgI have thought about both hydraulics and linear actuators, actually at first, but I keep going back to some kind of torsion spring setup like on an enclosed trailer. Use the hinge pins to hold one spring on each side.

Use a simple counter weight
Pete
I thought about a counter weight also but thought the geometries were wrong for a "simple" (counter balanced our fixed) counter weight design. To maintain full functionality would the tailgate not have to be counter weighted through pulleys and cables? I might be missing something from how I envision this working in my mind. Could you please elaborate a little more, Pete?

Hoefler

I just went out and looked at it. It can be done without pulleys. If one wants 180 travel-it will be clunky to do. If however one limits to simple 90 degrees-it could be done simply and would not look all that bad. Rear clearance light would need to move a bit. Its not full on attractive-but if one is using his gate a lot for work, it may be a decent solution for 50 bucks.
Lots of weights-plates could be stacked inside.
Pete

Attachments

I just went out and looked at it. It can be done without pulleys. If one wants 180 travel-it will be clunky to do. If however one limits to simple 90 degrees-it could be done simply and would not look all that bad. Rear clearance light would need to move a bit. Its not full on attractive-but if one is using his gate a lot for work, it may be a decent solution for 50 bucks.
Lots of weights-plates could be stacked inside.
Pete
Nice explanation Pete. My mind was stuck to the illustration on the left and I abandoned that since you would be limited to only a 90 degree rotation. The idea on the right looks like a good design. Hard to beat that simplicity. The goal there would be to basically make the tailgate neutrally buoyant. I don't think it would stick out too far as long as the arm holding the weight was long enough to take advantage of the leverage. That would reduce the amount of weight needed and therefore hopefully the thickness of weight needed. Good job [thumbzup]

Hoefler

Thanks.
Simple is good. For those working their trucks, this may save a few fella's shoulders.
It would be easy enough for everybody to be able to do in their own garage-shop.
Pete

Gunfreak25

Power tailgates?

Remember, KISS.

For those without arthritis and shoulder operations, do some push up's instead. The tailgate isn't that heavy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks