• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate assist

Power tailgates?

Remember, KISS.

For those without arthritis and shoulder operations, do some push up's instead. The tailgate isn't that heavy.
Hard to beat that simplicity.
Thanks.
Simple is good.
Seams that the simplicity has been considered. :beer:

"Push up's" may not be a realistic solution for the elderly, disabled, amputees, or those with other physical impairments.

For those who are capable, so what? What is wrong with being inventive to make a task easier? That is how man has evolved. I mean, one day a guy got tired of caring stuff and said "there has got to be a better way". He shared his initial designs and thoughts to his tribe and although most were encouraging one loudly spoke out "keep it simple stupid, lift weights". Undeterred the guy kept tinkering and developed the first wheel.

Good thing that guy didn't pay attention to his detractor. Otherwise we wouldn't have this hobby because we wouldn't have the wheel.

Also, think of all the spin offs (pun intended) that have come about due to the wheel. Arguably, without the wheel we wouldn't have computers. Inventions breed inventions.

Last edited:

bones1

Ramblin is ready....thanks
I have not one but both shoulders destroyed from working on vehicles over the years so the Deuce tailgate is very painful for me to use.But I will not give up my big trucks so one of these ideas will be adopted. So no one likes my torsion spring idea?.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the torsion spring is an elegant solution. However, consider that a spring strong enough to help would hold the tailgate at some partial-open position (like about 90 to 100 deg). The apparent weight of the tailgate starts to drop shortly after passing 90 degrees while the force of the spring continues to climb with increased angle.

Gunfreak25

I do like the spring idea, I am already subscribed so will be watching for anything you guys can come up with.

The issue with a torsion spring is that the tailgate will never want to hang down properly. Since it will always be under torsion and since that force is increased the further it is rotated the greatest torsion will occur when it is in the full open position. Unfortunately, in that position the max torsion isn't really needed because gravity isn't working against it very much. You actually need the maximum torsion to occur when the tailgate is parallel to the ground as that is when gravity is working the strongest against it. So, basically for you to have enough force/torsion there to overcome gravity, you would subsequently have too much torsion in the full open position and therefore the tailgate will not want to rest in the full open position. I think the fabrication would also be more involved there than it would in Pete's design. Also, a torsion system will be harder to dial in than a counter weighted design. You may have to go through several springs before you find one that exerts the correct amount of force. Finally, torsion springs are a %^#@+ to work with.

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue with a torsion spring is that the tailgate will never want to hang down properly. Since it will always be under torsion and since that force is increased the further it is rotated the greatest torsion will occur when it is in the full open position. Unfortunately, in that position the max torsion isn't really needed because gravity isn't working against it very much. You actually need the maximum torsion to occur when the tailgate is parallel to the ground as that is when gravity is working the strongest against it. So, basically for you to have enough force/torsion there to overcome gravity, you would subsequently have too much torsion in the full open position and therefore the tailgate will not want to rest in the full open position.
That's what I said... Another option might be cables, pulleys, and springs. A cable/pulley at the top of the side rail could afford high support when the tailgate is near horizontal and less as it is near full drop due to an over-center effect.

That's what I said... Another option might be cables, pulleys, and springs. A cable/pulley at the top of the side rail could afford high support when the tailgate is near horizontal and less as it is near full drop due to an over-center effect.
That is essentially a "Gorilla Lift" which the OP suggested in post #17 (someone mentioned a similar concept in post #3). I think that with the moving parts involved it would be easier to just buy the "Gorilla Lift" than to try and make your own (less than $200). However, since those are typically used with ramps I am not sure it would work with the tailgate since the tailgate has a wider range of rotation than a ramp does. I would also be worried of damaging that system with all the abuse it may take in the bed of the truck. I doesn't seam as robust as Pete's counter weight but it would be one way to skin the cat.

Attachments

Last edited:

bones1

I even made it simpler.....works great as a two piece tailgate.....nice and easy....3hrs and little steel. I ordered some 11/16 od x 1/2 id bronze bushings for the tailgate hinges, we'll se if I can remove some of the slop in the pins.
I like it. uploadfromtaptalk1349643502049.jpguploadfromtaptalk1349643516490.jpguploadfromtaptalk1349643532603.jpguploadfromtaptalk1349643545577.jpg

Last edited:

mckeeranger

Well, now that's different. I kinda like it too. Does it need a "latch" between the two halves, or is it strong enough without it? It looks plenty strong without it.

Gunfreak25

Split tailgate, awesome idea. The tailgate is not designed as a loading ramp anyway. That being said, I think if you wanted even more structural rigidity for certain jobs you could weld a couple sleeves in the middle of the tailgate to slide pins through to make it "one" tailgate again. Maybe secure them with cotter pins or something?

bones1

Split tailgate, awesome idea. The tailgate is not designed as a loading ramp anyway. That being said, I think if you wanted even more structural rigidity for certain jobs you could weld a couple sleeves in the middle of the tailgate to slide pins through to make it "one" tailgate again. Maybe secure them with cotter pins or something?
Exactly what I had in mind Gunfreak although I put reinforcement steel along the top and sides and boxed it in at the top, it will hold more weight than I will ever put on it. I will get a couple of these 3/4 spring latches and put on the inside to make it one piece if I need to.This gives the truck much more usability for those of us that aren't Hulk Hogan. Spring Latch Assembly - 3/4
Whenever I sit on my 5 gal bucket in the garage strange things happen.

Last edited:

Hoefler

Split tailgate is a great idea. You could add a slider pin-like on a 5-ton drop side to couple the two halves. Further-welding on a tab to one of the sides would allow dropping both at once or one side only (my M36A3 has this on the drop sides).
Pete

Gunfreak25

One little thing that has always bothered me was the tailgate loosey goosey fit with the bed upon lowering and raising. Bushings and new pins is a great idea.

bones1

uploadfromtaptalk1350395708063.jpguploadfromtaptalk1350395726061.jpg
11/16 od x 1/2 id bushings, make new 1/2 in dia pins.
Add an extra bushing mount for the left tailgate. Notice the 3 straps on the gate instead of the stock configuration.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks