• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate crank assy for dummies!

HOWEY

Yeah its gotta come out but is easy enough process, lube up the reg with grease while its out too.....

ranchhopper

They sell the black ones at american auto parts too if you want to see how they go together go to LMCs website and go into their catalog there is all kinds of exploded views of everything chevy truck.

stationjj

Hey I thought I would resurrect this old post. I have started the project to overhaul rear window assembly. Not as bad I thought it would be.

The things that's holding me up is the tail gate crank assembly. From what I could tell from Howey pictures. Hold the spring and pawl in and then slide the lock in. My problem is that I can't get lock to go all the way in with the spring and pawl pressed in. I have tried moving lock to get it in right position. No go. What am I missing here?

Can anyone give me any suggestions or ideas on this? This is a new crank and lock set from LMC.

Thanks,

stationjj

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I had read this before I had to figure mine out the long way. Nevertheless, I still can't get the lock cylinder out of the old crank to put it in the new one.

Does anyone know what's holding the lock cylinder in?

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For both stationjj and Mainsail issues you have to have the key in the lock assembly to install and remove it from the handle arm.

With the key in, there is further "twisting" of the lock assembly to get it to come out and also to get it to engage the pawl/plunger spring assembly - in other words, the key will twist more than 90 degrees to get the lock cylinder in and out - just got to work it...

donalloy1

Ok, bought all the bits i needed, just couldnt for the life of me figure out how it all went together??:roll:
Did a search but couldnt find the money shot of how that little spring and pawl fitted into the assembly??........... until eureka:jumpin:... hope this saves someone else sleepless nights[thumbzup]
Thank you HOWEY! Have been waiting for someone to Post exactly what you have. I can sleep now. DMLII sends....
:deadhorse:

stationjj

Finally the tailgate window assembly overhaul is done. The cranking of the window is so much smoother now.

Getting the key lock assembly in was a pain. I messed around with it, and never got it in. I had friend look at, and he finally got it in place.

Thanks Howey and MikeV

stationjj

HOWEY

Finally the tailgate window assembly overhaul is done. The cranking of the window is so much smoother now.

Getting the key lock assembly in was a pain. I messed around with it, and never got it in. I had friend look at, and he finally got it in place.

Thanks Howey and MikeV

stationjj
Your welcome guys :p

CycleJay

LOL,

My only problem is.
Even though the window cranks up and down great, the lock cylinder keeps coming out,
whenever I pull out the key, so I need to take it apart, and find or get a retaining clip
back in there.