• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate Hinges

Jinx

Buy me a Coke
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all.

I want to swap a nicer tailgate from a junker HMMWV to my running M1114. Both trucks have similar tailgates with hinges bolted to the frame. Two of the bolts and nuts on each side are easy to access. The third's nut is covered by body a bushing and blocked by angled metal. Feeling around it seems like the body bushing needs to be removed to access the last nut.

Would removing the hinge pin be easier? I'm assuming it's removed just like a hinge pin on a house door. Are these pins reuseable or will I need to replace it?

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have swapped a couple tail gates and never had an issue with getting to the nuts on the back side, challenge yes but not impossible.
Of course removing the body mounts is no big deal ether, I personally would go that route before trying to drive the pins out.

Jinx

Buy me a Coke
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have swapped a couple tail gates and never had an issue with getting to the nuts on the back side, challenge yes but not impossible.
Of course removing the body mounts is no big deal ether, I personally would go that route before trying to drive the pins out.
Okay, thanks.

Once I get it off it may be a good time to test my rivnut tool and make it easier to replace in the future.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, thanks.

Once I get it off it may be a good time to test my rivnut tool and make it easier to replace in the future.
That would be one way to go, but just remember rivnuts do not provide as much structural integrity as a nut and washer and you would need flush fitting rivnuts and taper the hole so the hinge fits flush against the body.

Jinx

Buy me a Coke
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tailgate currently has shims so it probably wouldn't need to be flush, but I agree I wouldn't be as structurally sturdy.

If I can get to the third bolt to remove it, I should be able to put it back on so that's what I'll do.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are doing something wrong, cuz I remove a TG a week…and no, you need the shims, they aren’t for looks, they allow the TG to
close properly and align to insert the hooks. Rivnut can’t support weight, the current nut is a stover lock nut, so when you put them back on, just use a regular nut and a small 1/4in impact driver.