• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate lift assist using spring hinges... with photos!

grendel

I have the Army welding manuals if you want them? They cover all sorts of welding.

Where did you get the springs? I need some for my M322 ramps.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the link I posted in the OP. https://www.nueratrailerparts.com/ramp-spring-right-hand-3-4.html

How big are your ramp hinges? I have some 1.25 inch diameter springs that I ordered by mistake when I was first developing the idea. I think they're for the "Big Tex" line of trailers. You can have em.

I want one of those m322's something fierce.

I have the Army welding manuals if you want them? They cover all sorts of welding.

Where did you get the springs? I need some for my M322 ramps.

grendel

Here's the link I posted in the OP. https://www.nueratrailerparts.com/ramp-spring-right-hand-3-4.html

How big are your ramp hinges? I have some 1.25 inch diameter springs that I ordered by mistake when I was first developing the idea. I think they're for the "Big Tex" line of trailers. You can have em.

I want one of those m322's something fierce.
Thanks, some how I missed the link.

Heh, the M322 takes a 1 and 15/16" pin. It also has a welded tube the "arms" of the pin slip into. I plan to do that on the tail gate of my M923A2 bed that is going on the M916 I just bought.

Jeep Nasty is selling an M322

74M35A2

igm is being polite for once in his life. You were smart enough to check the pic file name huh? Guess good things are happening in FL.

What igm is referring to is I recently upgraded my starter to one of my own gear reduction units on my 925A2. Being lazy, I chose not to disconnect the battery, and said I'll just be careful. Well, for the bolt closest to the block I did a test fit of a 1/2 drive extension to check the length, and sure enough, hit the solenoid B+ and engine block simultaneously. I knew I had about 3 seconds to get it out before it got hot, but the more I wiggled it, the tighter it wedged. The smoke was growing, the harness below by arm started glowing bright orange right through the conduit cover in daylight, and then something started hissing loudly like it was going to explode. I had to back away and head for an extinguisher. I came back out ready to battle fire, but found the main engine ground (not starter ground wire from batt) wire acted as a fuse and vaporized 6" off the end of itself. The rubber ground wire insulation was hollow and could have been used as a washer fluid hose. The metallic conductor actually vaporized and was gone. Yep, I suck, and the pic I just posted was nearly my own MV.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Back to the gate springs. Has it been checked yet that the gate can hang nearly straight down if just one spring is used?

infidel got me

74m-- I wasn't going to throw you under the bus with your starter mishap. You may be able to fool members on this forum with your skills, but we both know better! rofl If you are looking for a way to weld your springs to your tailgate,74m is now offering a full blown mobile welding service. His rates are reasonable -- but it will cost you a few feet of ground cable and a half inch harbor freight breaker bar. Hey, we all have done stuff that we LEARN from---- like letting a dodge truck down on myself (DONT ASK) Luckily the only thing hurt was our pride.

Last edited:

exssdru

I would think that either welding the spring (despite the tempered spring issue), or fasten with clamps or tubes that are welded to the tailgate, could cause difficulties in shutting the tail gate that last inch if the spring takes a permanent set from hanging all the way down. Allowing the spring to free float keeps it working as a compression spring, and disengages for decompression.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hang a boarding ladder off of my tailgate on the M923A1 and it is getting hard for me to lower and raise with the ladder on it, then I saw this post(Thanks to TwistedOaks Great idea)!! I did the mod to the tailgate and it works great. :naner:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks