• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tailight wiring harness m1009

ohfisherman

anybody know of a source for a rear taillight harness for my m1009? i would be willing to buy a used one also. mine is butchered pretty bad and i am sick of chasing breaks in the wires. post or pm me. thanks

hobie237

Buy two spools of wire for $5 each and replace/bypass as necessary. Realistically only one color is necessary, but it's nice to keep hot and ground different colors.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hobie, he said his was already butchered. No need for directions to re-buchter it.

hobie237

Taillight wiring isn't exactly complicated*. If the 20+ year old wires are having problems due to age, why would a junkyard replacement be much better? They're just wires. If you have replacement wires, you can "build" your own "harness" pretty quickly and easily. That's how they do it at the factory, so you're not really "butchering" anything. I put "build" and "harness" in quotes because the terms have to be used VERY loosely when talking about something as simple as taillight wiring.

*The wiring on these trucks isn't complicated, period. With the right spools of wire to get the colors right, you could likely rewire the whole thing in a few hours if necessary. No fuel injection, no ignition, barely any electric accessories. If there's a problem, just run new wire where necessary and be done with it. Cheaper, easier and faster than trying to locate a "replacement harness." If the trucks were more modern and actually had complicated wiring, I could understand it, but not for something simple.

ohfisherman

i HATE anything to do with wiring these taillights!! my k10 pickup has a bad ground. hit the brakes and the backup lights come on!! must have been a factory option on 73-87 gm trucks!

HardCorps79

*The wiring on these trucks isn't complicated, period. With the right spools of wire to get the colors right, you could likely rewire the whole thing in a few hours if necessary. No fuel injection, no ignition, barely any electric accessories. If there's a problem, just run new wire where necessary and be done with it. Cheaper, easier and faster than trying to locate a "replacement harness." If the trucks were more modern and actually had complicated wiring, I could understand it, but not for something simple.
Not that I'm having any issues, but if you ever come through KC, I'd love you to stop by and rewire my whole M1009 (just for good measure). I'll buy the parts and the beer. Wiring diagrams give me fits.

hobie237

Don't get me wrong- it would NOT be an enjoyable process. :wink: However, if one is looking to learn/practice reading wiring diagrams and doing automotive wiring, these trucks are an ideal place to start/learn/practice. Anyhoo, I would help if I was in the area.