• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taillight connector from TM

chief1983

While trying to come up with a completely plug-and-play solution for my civvy trailer wiring on the M1009, I found several wiring diagrams that enlightened me to a few things.

First, as many have noticed, the T-connector for a civilian trailer 4-way plug does not work out of the box. Both taillight plugs that it could tap into each only carry the respective side's blinker/brake light signal, not both of them, as apparently the civilian Blazers have. This requires still either tapping the other side to use it, or getting two T-connectors and splicing them together to one plug. I'm going to be trying to do this for version one because I need something very soon and it's the only way I know I can make it work without cutting up the truck's wiring.

Second, the weather pack junction going to the NATO trailer plug carries all wires needed to feed a 4-way trailer plug. Splicing into these is possible as is building an adapter and switching between as jmassenga did ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46121-trailer-wiring-adapter-cucv-2.html#post932493 ). I'm thinking about taking that a step farther and making a weather-pack to 4-way T-connector that would work inline instead of having to switch.

But, if I ever wanted to hook up a brake controller for a 7-way I'd still need to feed the reverse. Which brings me to the E-16 wiring diagram in the -34. I've boxed the relevant area of the diagram below. Does anyone know where/how accessible this junction is physically on the truck? Specifically the M1009. If it is any sort of standard connector, a T-connector could be made using it that has a built in tap to the reverse light as well, making a very simple 4-way or 7-way trailer hookup for almost any CUCV. If it's too hard to reach, then I supposed 4-way T-connector for the weather-packs would be my best bet for now, and have the most professional appearance. I'm considering buying some parts in bulk and making a batch if this looks like a good, and popular idea.

Attachments

cpf240

I'll have to look for it again, but somewhere I remember seeing a note, in the TM's, that said that junction does not exist on the M1009...

Looks like it is on the F-18 wiring diagram - says "This connector not present on M1009 trucks"

I know that is the blackout light wiring diagram, but that plug is the same on that shows up on the F-14 and F-17 diagrams. Unless I'm reading them wrong.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont have my manuals in hand, but I believe that connector is the firewall junction box.

I'll check them in a couple of hours.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Open mouth. Insert foot.

Another reason not to post without all the info.

That connector is not the firewall connector. Looking at E-13 you will see the continuation of the circuit back to the firewall plug.

I have both a M1008 and M1009 parts truck. I will check each harness tomorrow to find out where it is located

chief1983

cpf240 seems to be right though, it's not mentioned on E-16 but on E-18 it seems to refer to the same connector, which seems to carry both the standard taillights and the blackout lights in one pack. E-18 does say that is absent on the M1009, so I'm not likely to find what I'm looking for on my truck. Guess it's time to modify some trailer connector weather-packs.