• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taking Deuce on 1,500 mile ride. Help, thoughts, recommendations.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I always took on my deuce outings was my home bred power bleeder. Never went out of town without it. Funny thing about Jeepsinker bringing all those spare parts, I once took a trip from West Palm to Cincy OH amd back. I took a spare everything, literally. Was driving an M275A2 with an M35A2 piggybacked on the 5th wheel. Murphy had to go pound sand.

RAYZER

One item I keep in the deuce, especially on a trip is a fresh towel to wipe the sweat out of my eyes and the rain off the inside of the windows!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm leaving for NC tomorrow and I am bringing a spare engine, transmission, radiator, and new water pump, as well as all the other things mentioned already except for wheel bearings.
Hey, throw in a couple of wheels and you have 90% of a complete backup truck! You, sir, are prepared!

Jeepsinker

Yeah well I could never afford a tow home, and you can't exactly get parts for our trucks at any auto parts store. I'm just being proactive. And I am bringing several spare tires too.
Moral of the story: The more prepared you are, the more people are willin to help you if you need it.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On all the long deuce trips I have taken; I've found that the first 100 miles are the worst and that is also when you will most likely have an issue if you are going to have one.

Jeepsinker

Yes, I have a spare LDS motor and deuce trans in a section of frame along with the radiator. It came from an old USMC deuce. I'm just going to pick it up with the wrecker and set it in the bed.
Murphy found me before I even left the house.... Just got done installing my brake lines from Peashooter and blew my master cylinder trying to use my power bleeder to bleed the brakes.aua

ke5eua

I didn't see anyone mention a co-driver. Helps if she's cute... Mechanical ability is a plus too.
People will laugh at this, but my wife is the far from mechanically inclined. Seeing her trying to help me with the belt on the deuce I brought to Fuzzy was a little hilarious, at the same time me trying not to cuss up a storm knowing she has no idea what I'm talking about.

Telling someone who knows nothing about engines to take the belt and pull it down past the fan shroud and toward the left inner fender was a little challenging to say the least. She only cried once, then got really mad at me so it worked out for the best. Don't try and give a hug to your lady when your drenched in sweat.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pray.

Post your route and estimated ETAs to key waypoints. SS Members along your path can be a PRICELESS emergency resource.

Pray.

Consult the MEMBER MAP (see BUTTON in the Banner of EVERY SS WebPage) and contact by PM in advance members who are along your route to collect phone numbers and resources available from each.

Pray.

Oh, did I mention---> PRAY.

Vaya con Dios!
(Go with God!)

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks