• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Talk Me Out of My Fascination With Owning an LMTV

Phoenix77

I don't mind fixing smaller mechanical issues, but I am by no means a full-time mechanic or have access to a lift (beyond a 3-ton floor jack ATM).

Transmission swaps, welding, etc. would incur labor costs, which I am trying to avoid. I am a DIYer and work doesn't scare me, but I also like a running start (i.e., the vehicle runs).

JD4044M

Found out last night it the Huricane stopped the shipper!! EBay/Mailman Lost my Manuals on a CD still trying to figure where they are. Supposed to be delivered but not at my house. Seller said he would send another. Glad we have stuff to read here makes it easier to wait for it!

Ended up getting the CD, went to the wrong home. The seller sent me another one too and said keep it. Maybe some one want to trade a CD for a Operators Manual Hard Copy? There is a ton of manual stuff on the CD but I do not need 2 of them. Paid $29.00 for the CD have not even got thru much of it yet it is 28,000 pages of stuff!

Last edited:

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love this thread..
Check out Exodus Expeditionary Vehicles
out of Swansboro NC, short drive from you on the coast.
The short answer is, we all love these trucks, so you should probably ask a Toyota forum for the bad news.
The long answer is:
For a farm, ranch, short term driver, not bad in the maintenance dept.
For cross country, (coast to coast) and overseas use, rebuilding and replacing all old seals parts and equipment can, and does run into the high dollar ranges.
FMTV trucks out of Montana sells rebuilt trucks in the three figures, and we spend around 90K in our builds... but thats the price you pay to not be stranded in bumbledee ohio with a small issue..

Over all, come on down to EEV and climb in, check out and fall in love with your next FMTV. You wll probably go and sell your house, and hit the road happily ever after.

"Here now, Let the Dogs loose"
G king

Attachments

Phoenix77

"Check out Exodus Expeditionary Vehicles
out of Swansboro NC, short drive from you on the coast."

LOL; AJ bought a couple LMTV rims from me a few months back.

I actually had taken a picture of one of your builds when it was in Greenville and showed my wife - that fueled my S-250 overland camper build as a smaller foray into a potential LMTV build later if we liked it.

JD4044M

Great news my 1996 M1078 is on the way, the transport truck picked it up today. There hoping to get it to me by this weekend! Now I am perked up! Doctor told me today my worsened breathing was a reaction to the new meds so he stopped one. Guess I will live longer and better till the next screw up! I am so pumped about this truck and breathing better!! Even tested out my Stereo and Back up Camera today both work great. Sat in the garage pretending it was in the cab playing. This is going to be so cool driving the 8 miles to town on the country road going over the bridge to the local gun shop for a picture in front of it! I got plans after I proof it for little daytime drives now and then. Be fun going food shopping in it once. Plus taking pictures of it here at home! I even got plans to make a Crane for it. I built one for my tractor I will re work for this truck. SS1 (640x362).jpgSS3 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks