• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Talk to me about horns

dc_cucv

Ok, so I've been giddy like a 8 year old all week driving my baby around. Loving every deafening minute of it, however I need to do something about my horn. Or lack there of.

It literally sounds like a mouse fart. Can't hear it over the 6.2. So i think it's either dead or about to be. When the truck is off, i can hear it, but very very weak.

Is there a drop in replacement? Did all trucks come with a hi and lo tone horns? I see that are Hi tone some are Lo tone. Do i need both?

Anyone here run an aftermarket horn that dropped right in? I'd like to have something that may make someone shart their pants when i hit the horn. Here in Northern VA, drivers have a tendency to cut off slower vehicles and I've already almost creamed two plastic honda's that wanted to challenge my 5400lbs of steel. Would have loved to oblige, but i had somewhere to be.
I hit the horn to warn them, but obviously no one can hear it (me included).

Keith_J

Single tone is stock. And it is a weak one.
I have onboard air, be it the stock SECM air compressor and tank. It holds pressure so I installed a Klein air horn. Wired in a solenoid relay with hidden switch, runs stock horn when switch is off, air horn when on. I've got enough compressed air for 30 seconds of horn.

Been meaning to get a decent 24 volt air compressor but that is a low list item

xenocath

searching.............
I installed a Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn few years ago cause my daughter said for such a big truck the horn was kinda wimpy this one put a smile on her face so much so that all my current vehicles have one hope this helps.

cucvrus

1664709756536.png
I added a HMMWV horn. It was a 24V horn and a CUCV has a 24 spade in the fuse box. I used an inline fuse and wired it to a separate button. Classic Jeep sound. I still had the stock CUCV horn wired as OEM. The current owner may have removed the horn. It was on my M1009 Mule.
1664709981387.png
It dared to be different. Have a Great Day.

GunnyM1009

I bought the low tone horn from LMC. It's not defining but you can hear it for sure.
The only thing I had to add was a ground wire which was simply ran to the underside of the mounting bolt. Very simple also if you have not bypassed the noise control capacitors next to the horn I would advise doing so. They tend to become an issue with horn reliability.

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 880868
I added a HMMWV horn. It was a 24V horn and a CUCV has a 24 spade in the fuse box. I used an inline fuse and wired it to a separate button. Classic Jeep sound. I still had the stock CUCV horn wired as OEM. The current owner may have removed the horn. It was on my M1009 Mule.
View attachment 880869
It dared to be different. Have a Great Day.

The HMMWV has a terrible horn for the street. This winter I'm installing a 24v compressor (aircraft fuel support) along with an air tank and horns for a 5 ton.

Mark

s-l400 - 2022-10-02T075251.965.jpg

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the parts are available on a popular auction site. The compressor is a Extreme Outback Air Compressor.

Two come in a aircraft fuel transfer unit and they are super well made and flow a massive amount of air for their size.
For the brake air tank just search for military brake air tank. Search military air horns on the same site. Going to install the air tank where the tool rack goes.

s-l400 - 2022-10-02T123857.431.jpg

s-l400 - 2022-10-02T075125.384.jpg

s-l400 - 2022-10-02T123622.299.jpg

dc_cucv

I bought the low tone horn from LMC. It's not defining but you can hear it for sure.
The only thing I had to add was a ground wire which was simply ran to the underside of the mounting bolt. Very simple also if you have not bypassed the noise control capacitors next to the horn I would advise doing so. They tend to become an issue with horn reliability.
I bypassed the 3 caps inline with the washer pump. Helped my wipers 1000%. I have 2 speeds now.

dc_cucv

I guess it would be pretty easy to wire up a high and low tone horn together?

GunnyM1009

i was not aware of that. Will locate and bypass them tomorrow. Are they the same style connection as the washer pump caps?
Different connection type but same style caps. I had to splice a piece of wire in to bypass mine due to it not being long enough after taking the caps out of the loop. If you pull your driver side headlight trim you should be able to get access to them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20 years ago you could walk into any junk yard and leave with coupe Deville horns for $5. Would have to really dig for them know. Caddys had their own unique (if not arrogant) sound. Hated them then, would love a pair right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks