• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tall and narrow tires

slickm1008

...is there any place here in the US to buy 9.00 X 16's???

I'm look'n for some tall skinny's for the next set of shoes! i think they are as big as you can go without trimming or lifting, if i'm not mistaken

or am I wrong?

slickm1008

...and i guess a decent AT style, not the FULL road commercial style but a decent AT tire that wont knock a filling loose OR wear faster than slippers in a marathon???

I'd ideally like to find a 35/36" tire no wider than 10" more like 9.5".

still be able to trail and yet go down the road and better yet STOP when stopping is needed.

sry to hijack before.......

AJMBLAZER

Slick, look into STA Superlugs. They are bias ply but get good reviews. Sorta half way between an AT and a MT. Side lugs but tight center lugs. Fit stock on the stock rims.

thirdstreettito

I spent around 2 hours one night finding all the tires I could that come in a 255/85R16 size. Here it is!

BFG Mud Terrain TA KM2
Maxxis MA-761 Bravo Series BSW
Maxxis MT-762 BIGHORN BSW
Toyo Open Country M/T
Cooper Discoverer S/T
Super Swamper TR/US
Toyo M55
Dean Durango M/T
Laramie Trailcutter R/T
Laramie Tempra Trailcutter A/T
Super Swamper TSL/Thornbird

leroygreen

I had a set of super swampers that were 9.5 x 34 x 16.5, about 15 years ago. If you put them on narrow wheels about 2 inches of the width comes from the lugs overhanging the sidewall. They look tough on a 6.5 inch wheel.
intercotire.com

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first number is the width of the tire (in millimeters),

The second number is the aspect ratio. It means a percent of the width

Then to get the total tire height, you add this number x 2 (in millimeters) to the rim size (in inches).

Here's the formula I made to calculate metric tire sizes to inch sizes:
(2WA/2540)+R
W=width
A=aspect ratio
R=rim size

Here's an example: I have 315 75 16 on my F350.
W=315
A=75
R=16

So

(2 x 315 x 75) / 2540) + 16 = 34.6 inches tall!

There you go!
:ditto:

Hey Leroy, what were you running those Swampers on? i think i just located a nice used set of 34x9r16's that im gonna grab to put on my M1010. its seems that i shouldnt have any problems rubbing since theyre so skinny, but i'll get a little better highway speed, offroad traction, and it'll look tuff too!!![thumbzup]

Preacherboy

I spent around 2 hours one night finding all the tires I could that come in a 255/85R16 size. Here it is!

BFG Mud Terrain TA KM2
Maxxis MA-761 Bravo Series BSW
Maxxis MT-762 BIGHORN BSW
Toyo Open Country M/T
Cooper Discoverer S/T
Super Swamper TR/US
Toyo M55
Dean Durango M/T
Laramie Trailcutter R/T
Laramie Tempra Trailcutter A/T
Super Swamper TSL/Thornbird
I want some of these on my 1998 Suburban, but my local dealer could only get the Coopers and they wanted $900 for 4!!!

Of course, my dream tire is 9r16's XZL's...but they are probably untainable except for older, out of date stuff. Plus they are a very heavy tire.

Those Toyo m55's are like a commercial tire and supposedly wear like iron.

These tires are unfortunately expensive, but the expedition vehicle world uses 255/85r16's almost exclusively b/c you usually do not have to lift the vehicle to get them on.

I need 4 plus a spare, then 3 more for my m101a2 that I want to get so everything is the same color! Then I'll need a white canvas top for my m101a2; but that is another story.

leroygreen

Hey Leroy, what were you running those Swampers on? i think i just located a nice used set of 34x9r16's that im gonna grab to put on my M1010. its seems that i shouldnt have any problems rubbing since theyre so skinny, but i'll get a little better highway speed, offroad traction, and it'll look tuff too!!![thumbzup]

Still Standing, I had them on a 1979 F250. They fit great and no rubbing no matter what I did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks