• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tall cargo cover

martinv

I got a cover when I purchased my Deuce. I am trying to decide if it is worth repairing.
The main thing I noticed is it appears to be taller than standard. A previous owner appears to have drilled holes to hold the side supports up higher to accommodate the tall cover.
Anyone know if this is common?
Would wind at 50mph be too much for this height to drive it with the cover on?
Are these worth repairing and how long do they last if left on the vehicle in Minnesota outdoors? A major seam on top gave out and need to be re-glued + a few holes need to be patched.
20220903_174618.jpg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a cover when I purchased my Deuce. I am trying to decide if it is worth repairing.
The main thing I noticed is it appears to be taller than standard. A previous owner appears to have drilled holes to hold the side supports up higher to accommodate the tall cover.
Anyone know if this is common?
Would wind at 50mph be too much for this height to drive it with the cover on?
Are these worth repairing and how long do they last if left on the vehicle in Minnesota outdoors? A major seam on top gave out and need to be re-glued + a few holes need to be patched.
View attachment 878228
Great looking deuce!!!

Not sure about the taller question, but I regularly drive my M923 at 55+ with my cargo cover on. Make sure you don't have any small tears and all of the zippered windows are closed.

My M923 with the cover down after about an 80 mile trip:

Resized_20220603_095333.jpeg

I recently drove about 220 miles with it down and secured and had no issues. That said, any small tears will turn into big rips.

Have you considered folding it and stowing it for trips? I know with one person it's a PITA, but I've managed to get the procedure down to where I can set up and stow by myself.

(Video idea: how to fold and stow then set up a cargo cover with only one person. I may film that when I get in.)

ToddJK

It's safe to drive 55mph with these tarps. I leave mine on 100%, too heavy to take on and off. Plus it keeps the groceries dry! Roll up the sides for a canopy if need be which is nice in the summer.

I would definitely repair the tarp if possible, those things aren't cheap, lol. Lock-tite makes a good vinyl patch kit you can use for holes and I'd use some quality adhesive (safe for vinyl) for the seam. You can also use a strip of vinyl about 3" wide and adhere it to the underside of that seam afterwards, giving it extra strength, may be a little stiffer but that won't hurt. Probably cost $50-$70 to repair, more if you take it to a repair shop, but it beats $300+ for a new tarp.

HDN

LMTV cover? Those are taller and allow more comfort working in the back while standing. I think some others here have lengthened the bow legs to accommodate the LMTV cover.

I need to put some patches in my cover too. I only do about 45-50 going down the road but would hate to wreck the thing! I'm pretty sure it's at least ten years old.

Guyfang

Staff member
LMTV is what I was thinking. If there is a part number on the cover, and there should be, than that can help ID the part/truck. But at the end of the day, it works, and like HDN wrote, its got more room to work/walk around in, then the normal cover. We used to pay the DS support guys to sew a strip onto our covers, so we could do just that. Have more room in the bed.

ToddJK

LMTV is what I was thinking. If there is a part number on the cover, and there should be, than that can help ID the part/truck. But at the end of the day, it works, and like HDN wrote, its got more room to work/walk around in, then the normal cover. We used to pay the DS support guys to sew a strip onto our covers, so we could do just that. Have more room in the bed.
The extra height would be nice. Mine is the standard height so I'm crouching in the back and the worst is if you ever hit your shoulder on those bolts for the bows, that hurts!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have used a hemtt cargo cover and an lmtv cover. Both were better than stock height wise. I ended up using the hemtt bows with an lmtv cover and that is perfect imho. Mine is not on the truck 100% of the time, but it is on more than its off. The only issues I've run into is when driving with part of the top up. When I drive with the top strapped down, I've had no issues.

martinv

It looks like the common glue for this job type is HH-66. My plan is to attempt the repair. I also realized a previous owner cut a hole for a rear door. I'll have to either find damaged cover that has the rear panel in tact or just fill it in with some new sheet. 20220908_172232.jpg

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prior to vinyl, it was a conmon practice for maintenance, supply, and mess sections to raise the bows, usually by putting in some short wood stock first, then the full bow. The canvas would either be short, or when we had the time and money we would get a new new tarp and send it in to the canvas shop and have it extended about 8 inches on both sides. Again common, now for the vinyl, some were just run short because in both cases units would make a plywood "hooch" box, not all units were authorized 286? Shelters. So we improvised. Yes, repair the vinyl, you have the makings of a shop truck! If we would have had the taller FMTVs then we would have used it. Also how do you use a hermit cover, it's a bit long for a Deuce or 5ton. Yes we used both Deuces and 5tons with raised tops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks