• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tallahassee, FL - Checking In

lonesouth

Late introduction here. I grew up enamored with green machines. Having one is on my bucket list, preferably a deuce. For now, that will have to wait. I found SS in my search for a generator. After losing power for 5 days after Hermine, I decided I needed a bigger generator. I have a 5kw now that will run everything in the house except the AC. 5 days without AC in August had the wife willing to trade everything FOR the AC. In researching generators, I learned about the difference in 3600rpm screamers(pretty much everything commercial) and 1800rpm slow and quiet sets. I also discovered the differences in power quality. I had been looking for a permanent install LP, but after seeing the burn rate on those, I started looking for other options. If I burn through my 120gal propane tank, then I also lose hot water and cooking. That led me to the diesel sets, and green mountain generators. I had no idea that these MEP units even existed prior to this search. I read a bunch of threads here, read the TMs, watched some videos. All this led me to pull the trigger and attempt my first mil-surp purchase from GP, two MEP-803a mounted on a M103a3, and joining this forum.

I'm fairly handy. I've got a 77 bronco that I've done all manner of mods to, suspension, brakes, EFI, engine swap, R&R trans, twin stick, etc. I'm also somewhat knowledgeable on circuits and electrical workings. My first job was with General Dynamics Land Systems building harnesses and testing systems and components. Those two points, coupled with growing up with a dad who built, owned, and maintained a small portfolio of rental houses, has made me something of a jack of all trades. I approach new challenges with the mentality that I may as well take a crack at fixing it, in most cases I can't mess it up worse than it was to begin with, and either way I'll have at least learned more about the system. Hopefully, that approach will serve me well here.

C57C682B-4394-466D-AA39-CAE4B4E1AE71_zpsyylvpl5e.jpg

IMG_0453_zpsd4307fa0 (1).jpg

Last edited:

jbayer

Welcome from NE FL. Nice looking Bronco. I'd look for a either a MEP-003A, or MEP-803. Both 10kw, 803 has sound suppression. MEP-002A/ MEP-802 5KW units might fit the bill depending on A/C size. Mil gensets are a little underrated on power output, where as civi units are probably a little overrated. I have a 15 kw Generac, and it struggles to run my 3 ton A/C.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from TN! My story of finding SS and a generator purchase is almost identical to yours. You will find lots of helpful people and good information here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks