• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tampa Bay Area help for m35-a2 injection pump overhaul

sandcobra164

I know a local shop in Albany, Ga will rebuild it. There are alot of shops around that won't touch these older diesel injection systems and honestly, I got a second pump built for my 5 ton just to be safe to enjoy it for years to come. Search R&S Diesel, Albany Ga. My friend Welder1 had his deuce pump gone through within the past year. The men doing the actual work are not getting any younger and the kids seem happy to work the register instead of being in the shop and learning the trade. Yes, I do know the difference between the Bosch system on your truck and the Cummins PT system on my truck. No worries, I'm just tossing out there what I consider to be a reputable shop and advising you that if you can get an additional take-off pump, I'd have it gone through as well to put back for a rainy day.

rustystud

I know a local shop in Albany, Ga will rebuild it. There are alot of shops around that won't touch these older diesel injection systems and honestly, I got a second pump built for my 5 ton just to be safe to enjoy it for years to come. Search R&S Diesel, Albany Ga. My friend Welder1 had his deuce pump gone through within the past year. The men doing the actual work are not getting any younger and the kids seem happy to work the register instead of being in the shop and learning the trade. Yes, I do know the difference between the Bosch system on your truck and the Cummins PT system on my truck. No worries, I'm just tossing out there what I consider to be a reputable shop and advising you that if you can get an additional take-off pump, I'd have it gone through as well to put back for a rainy day.

It isn't that the pump is so difficult it is because of all the tests and adjustments that must be performed to get them to run correctly. Take a look at the injection manual and you will see what I mean. All the modern pumps are electronically controlled so you just rebuild them and slap them back in. The computer makes all the adjustments. Also there are a few special tools that you must have. I'm having one special made as I write this. In a way it's like when electronic ignitions came out. After awhile none of the newer mechanics knew how to set a distributors points ! I guess I just dated myself there.

sandcobra164

Mr. Greg,
Total concurrence. I'm only 34 but due to my father's love of MGB's (small British sports car), I learned to set points at an early age. I'm sure to a seasoned tradesmen, there is nothing to the injection pump on a Deuce. I was merely pointing out in my post that many shops won't touch these so the OP would likely have to shop around some. Thanks to being friends with Welder1, I know of a local shop that does fine work on these still. When I had my issue with the pump on my 5 ton, the same shop was the only one around that would touch it as well. We can easily agree that the Cummins PT pump is much simpler in operation and much more common than the injection pump on a Deuce.

Joseph

rustystud

Mr. Greg,
Total concurrence. I'm only 34 but due to my father's love of MGB's (small British sports car), I learned to set points at an early age. I'm sure to a seasoned tradesmen, there is nothing to the injection pump on a Deuce. I was merely pointing out in my post that many shops won't touch these so the OP would likely have to shop around some. Thanks to being friends with Welder1, I know of a local shop that does fine work on these still. When I had my issue with the pump on my 5 ton, the same shop was the only one around that would touch it as well. We can easily agree that the Cummins PT pump is much simpler in operation and much more common than the injection pump on a Deuce.

Joseph
I totally agree with you about shops not wanting to touch this pump. They are not trained on making the adjustments or even know what the adjustments are for. In the last few classes I had on some of the newer pumps, they never even mentioned the adjustments since the computer does all the work. All they are concerned about is the proper assembly procedure with no regard to the "how and why" which you need to properly adjust one of these older units.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks