• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tan over Green CARC

powerhouseduece

Hey all you smart painters out there, I got a few Q's for you! Me and a fellow SS member are wondering if we have to prime our Green trucks before we paint them tan. Also what do you guys do around the fuel tank if it has had fuel spilt on it? There is some minor rust repair that needs to be done and that bear metal has to be primed, Any tips will help out alot.

And yes I did a search!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "tan over green" trucks were actually painted green/woodland at the factory, and then later painted tan at the unit level by the on post paint shop. When I was at Ft hood, 90% of all the "tan" trucks started out life as green.

powerhouseduece

Ok so I can paint the tan Carc over the green carc without priming it? I was just going to go over the whole truck with a wire-wheel and then prime the bear spots and paint the whole truck tan.

dm22630

I painted 3-4 deuces this summer & probably 8 deuce beds.....

Use a 4"-4 1/2" grinder with a wire wheel. 10,000+ rpms REEEEEEALLY make a difference.

Use Krylon red metal primer. It will cover everything.

Look....

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
For the oil stains use Dawn dish washing liquid and a scrub brush. Then brake open the piggy bank get has many quarters that you can put in your pockets, with out your pants falling . Then spend a few hours at the car wash.

Stonepicker1

We prime the hole truck when we repaint or change the color. We contracted it out to a dealership one time. They didn't prime any of the trucks. Some of the paint just peeled off after a few months when we were going down the road. I always prime on CARC paint.

emr

Ok so I can paint the tan Carc over the green carc without priming it? I was just going to go over the whole truck with a wire-wheel and then prime the bear spots and paint the whole truck tan.

Thats the way to do it, You are right on, all must be clean and scuffed or it will peel like in the other post, peeling was not from not being primed it was not preped...all bare metal should be primed, all under the truck should be degreesed, this paint is very very forgiving....Good luck and go for it.U will be happy, The inside of the beds, I use a roller with rustoleum rusty metal primer in the gal cans over everything, then roll the mil paint over that, after that touch ups and repaints with the gun for speed, leaves a good base, when dried properly, there are por's and other types of paint primer / stuff but i stay away from them, to much prep and mixed results, cant just sand it/them/or and feather that crazy stuff at a later date either, I also spray rustoleum primer , its awesome...Randy

dm22630

Did you use spraypaint primer? I see some cans on the ground.

Also I think you forgot to say that you also painted a delslow.. I mean a delsol

Oh yeah! Rattlecan paint jobs :) haha ........ all of them have held up good through all kinds of weather & they are easy to touch up.

Be sure to wash the truck after sanding, dry completely, & wipe down with a towel over the whole thing though. THEN....you need to use an airhose with a blow nozzle to get all the dust out of the cracks & to really get it all of the surface...... Or you will end up like truck #1 I painted. It feels like sandpaper from all the dust underneath the paint.

You need to wash, dry, wipe, air blowgun after priming also.

Materials to paint a truck with spraypaint is less than $150. It costs $4/can for red metal primer from lowes & $4.50/can for rustoleum CAMO spraypaint from walmart. (Walmart is the ONLY place that sells rustoleum camo spraypaint, and each store only have about 6 cans of each color....so plan on going to more than 1 store).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks