• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TAN vs GREEN paint...

rwbrown72

I am trying to deiced what color I should paint my M1009 when I get it from govliq. (On day 75 since it was sent to BC)

I am still torn between the 3 color camo, the green, or the tan.

I am heavily leaning towards a desert storm paint job like the one pictured below (I think that one belongs to a Lonestar MVPA member).

I live in South Texas...do you think the truck would be less hot with the tan paint scheme instead of the green or camo?
The main problem is that you live in South Texas... In my opinion, I would paint it to look like the border patrol! That would be cool.... I'm just saying! rofl

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was having a similar discussion with a buddy of mine who is currently 'in'...

I asked WHY the military went from standard green to standard tan (ASIDE from the fact they are in the desert - which is the obvious answer)

his answer was interesting...

the human eye has difficulty seeing a light red at a distance so the military's tan has a pinkish tinge to it

And the military found it was much easier to go 'down' from TAN than 'up' from green as was mentioned above

I love the tan, but my dually is solid green and the Blazer is three color camo green - I gotta say the solid green is growing on me

Rich Johnson

In the Army, as far as I have encountered, nothing is solid 383 green. Everything in nato 3 color or 686 tan. 686 acctually varies depending on manufacture of paint.
From what I can see, there are two shades of "Tan". One is a "Swiss Coffe" color of tan, while the other is more of a "Sand" color.
I used real 686 Sherwin Williams tan on my 1008 and it is more of a sand color.
Both are correct as I have seen both side by side at our armories and in the field. Also, the application of black accessories has become very standard. Lots of mirror brackes and light housings etc are now coming black instead of green. On HMMWVs you will see some with black radiator grills and others tan, wheels will vary from black to tan as well depending on who painted them. Also, it seems that many times the brush guard across the front grill is still green or black while the vehicle is tan. THey hinge it down to paint the HMMWV and then are done and clean up and go oops we forgot to paint the brush guard, oh well.

I THINK, the Marines use solid 383 green on their vehicles. Its been a while since I was on an OP with them, but that sticks in my mind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks