• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tandem 105 axles under a gooseneck?

jrobinson5093

That was kinda the idea. I believe the trailer was made out a older house trailer frame and It has some small 6 lug axles under it they look to be 3500lbs. I am gonna have to go through the whole trailer and strengthen it up.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well 105 trailers weigh 2700lbs on their own. They're rated to haul 3,000lbs. So you're looking at 5,700lbs per axle at least. Probably more though.

It's still going to be way tall if you use 9.00's. Maybe a set of tires from a bolster trailer.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original M105 weight ratings were 1.5 tons offroad cargo and 3 tons (6,000 lbs) on highway. The M105 empty weight was 2650 lbs, so we can estimate the highway axle rating of 6,000 + 2650 lbs = 8,650 lbs or about 4 1/4 tons. Two axles would give you an 8 1/2 ton rating (I think this would be the GVR?). This estimated rating includes the weight of the axles and empty trailer.

Disclaimer - I'm not an engineer, and I never stay at Holiday Inns.

ETA - The old M105 highway rating for the total weight on the axle per the data plate was 6750 lbs. This was with a tongue weight of 250 lbs.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It's still going to be way tall if you use 9.00's. Maybe a set of tires from a bolster trailer.
The bolster trailer rims won't fit on a deuce hub....ask me how I know. You would need the bolster trailer axles and wheels. Mobile home frame is not made to carry a lot of weight. I made a trailer out of one and sold it when I realized how flimsey it would be even with a heavy wood floor.

jasonjc

Per an older TM for the M105 the axle are/were 10,000lbs load rated. The trailer house frame is a waste of time IMO. What do you plan to use for brakes?

jrobinson5093

Well I i I noticed it didnt look to stout, so Im gonna rebuild the trailer with stronger stuff. I dont plan to haul and thing big. Maybe a car or pick up truck or some haybales.probably 10,000lbs at the most. Maybe I should have titled this building a gooseneck trailer with 105 axles.

Tplane37

I am considering something similar, but I am currently looking at using a pair of M200a1's ... I am trying build a trailer stout enough to haul M211's (or at least mine). I am coming up short on the braking system as well. I'd like to keep the air over hydraulic brakes on the trailer axle and possibly keep it with the military pintle/lunette setup. If I go that route, I need to come up with some sort of brake controller to install on my C30 to properly control the military axles.

As for the trailer height... Low profile semi tires, possibly smaller wheels or custom fabbed wheels. There are several companies out there that can weld the center section of your choice, to the ring of choice, with the backspacing of choice.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about this because I had a few spare M105 axles lying around. I came to the conclusion that it was just too much trouble. First, as has already been mentioned, is the height issue. Another thing is getting the brakes and suspension worked out.

One more thing I found out is that unless you can get most of your material for free, you can buy one cheaper than you can buy just the material to build one.

jrobinson5093

Talking about the brakes. I have seen a few electric over hydro brake systems on trailers around here. Would it be possible to have both air and electric boosters on a trailer? That way it could be used with a MV or civi truck?

shannondeese

Look at my trailer build. I used 105 master cylinders with deuce axles and the stock deuce walking beam suspension. It would be very easy to use the 105 axles on that type of suspension. I almost went that route at one time. I built my whole trailer for just over 3000 bucks. Good luck. If you have any questions give me a shout.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks