• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tandem 105 axles under a gooseneck?

Tplane37

That's a similar set up to what I am thinking as well. But in order to stay legal with an M211 in tow, the loaded deck height of the trailer needs to be about 30" to stay below the 13' 6" bridge height. Also, take into consideration your longest vehicle that you will be towing the trailer with... That will determine your maximum overall length, including trailer, which needs to be under a certain length. In Illinois, I have to stay under 55 feet total length, that leaves me 32 and some change to play with on the trailer.

Another thing to consider is your tires on the trailer. How common are they, what if you have a blow out and have already used your spare, can you get the tires locally most anywhere you go? Also, consider the load rating on your tires. Most of the time, your axles are rates higher than your tires, and your tires determine how much weight you can handle. The tires is where I'm at in my research. Even if I have to spend a little more to have custom steel wheels made to bolt up to the hubs so that I can have a more common tire.

One more thing to think about is you stare law on plates. I have residences in two states. If I plate my trailer in Illinois, I have to take in to account the max GVW that I will ever haul. Since I want to stay below 20,000lbs including the trailer to keep from having a special inspection done on the trailer, that means my trailer has to weigh around 6,000 lbs or less empty. At that loaded weight, it will cost me $258 per year for plates on this trailer in Illinois... However, Ohio only cares about the empty weight of the trailer, bringing me in at about $52 per year for plates in Ohio. Regardless, per axle weight ratings still apply federally, but I'll never have to worry about that because I'll never have 38k in tow, let alone that much weight on a single axle!

Long and short, read through your state law for trailers, both commercial and noncommercial. Mine was helpful in Illinois because it actually gives me the formula to figure out max weight per axle... W=500*(((LN/(N-1))+12N+36) where W=any group of 2 or more consecutive axles rounded to nearest 500lbs, L=distance measured in feet between the extremes of 2 or more axles, and N= number of consecutive axles in any group.

jrobinson5093

I have built trailers before and just go to the court house and fill out a form and they give me a tag to mount on the trailer. Way easy my deuce was the same way I went in gave them a bill of sales told them want it was and twenty dollars later they gave me a tag and reg. Georgia must be different from most places. And about the tires Thats why I kinda wanted the 105 axles wheels and tires because I have plenty and they are easy to come by. the bolster tires and wheels may be a little harder to get.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ideally you want your deck height 36" or less. A 9.00-20 is 38" tall. If you add steel over your wheel wells you're going to have to leave room for suspension flex. That would equate to at least a 4" hump you're going to have to drive over.

Just keep in mind if you go much over 36" deck height you're going to have to have pretty long ramps and/or dovetail.

If you try to use M105 springs you're going to have to figure out some sort of equalizer bar between the axles and the axles are going to have a pretty wide spread between them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks