• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tandem axil bracket repair

gene

Below are some pics of my tandem axil bracket repair in progress. My thanks to SS and all who gave advice before I started my first MV repair. The axil bracket that came with the truck was destroyed when the mounting hardware came off and the truck continued performing duties. List of weapons used in the battle as follows.

1) lots of penatrating oil
2) full set of 3/4 inch drive sockets and one four foot cheater bar.
3) 3/4 torque wrench
4) bailing twine (to secure other wrench/ratchet against frame while removing or installing bolts.

Things I learned: Penatrating oil and cheater bars are golden/ torque rods are a beach to remove/application of anti seize is good/replace lock nuts with new ones. Above all, PM will keep you from having to bust your butt.

Truck drove great after repair. Now replacing all fluids, diving into break system, and considering replacing radiator since rear face of mine has obviously kissed the fan before.

Thanks again yall for the input and advice. Oh, special thanks to my wife for helping me figure out the damn computer/picture-file thing!!!

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a BIG repair job. Your over halfway there, getting everything loose sucks.

Like how everything is blocked. What caused the pivot to wear out?

Dennis

Last edited:

gene

Dennis,

the original bracket was damaged when the retaining nut came off and allowed the bushing to move under stress. I dont know how the old boy continued to function without some kind of major failure but the frame and bracket basically held together because the leaf springs were retained by the brackets on top of the axles. Without the retaining nut the spline of the axil braket bashed and ground it's way around the inside of the spring seat. I did not include the pics of the reassembly but it went well.

Gene