• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank Driving Business?

Flyingvan911

I agree with the offroad challenge. Much cheaper to maintain a deuce or 5 ton. And less ware and tare on the trails. Stuff that a 6x6 can easily handle will seem extreme to the lay person simply because they are behind the wheel of an army truck. Much less capital needed to start that way too. Build up the business to the point of a tank.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not go with an APC? M114's are relatively inexpensive, light, and parts are out there. Plus, 95% of people won't know the difference.

SmzZip865

Hey guys once again thank you for all the info. . .
Did contact the Drive a Tank guy, Tony, and He's a really cool guy. Had great insight and just overall really helpful. Bottomline I think its doable given time. Probly wont be ready by March 2013, maybe by 2014. Probably going to attempt a drive or ride a deuce attraction and see what happens there, and as mentioned if it does do well I may very well kick a little back the SS way in the form of a donation. I understand theres an anti zombie sentiment on the forums from the regulations but from looking around and the contacts I have in the paintball/airsoft markets BlondeGuy may be onto something. Anyways just wanted to say thanks for all the great info and input and keep it coming.

As to the M114 suggestion, I honestly think the APC solution would be a better income generator. More spots equals more tickets per trip which equals lower ticket price equals more riders for same time in. My main hesitation there as with the deuces is the fact that its lacking a big mean looking turret on top which I feel in my area would be what is really needed to draw in traffic. Input?

MarcusOReallyus

As to the M114 suggestion, I honestly think the APC solution would be a better income generator. More spots equals more tickets per trip which equals lower ticket price equals more riders for same time in. My main hesitation there as with the deuces is the fact that its lacking a big mean looking turret on top which I feel in my area would be what is really needed to draw in traffic. Input?

So get a 113 and charge extra to ride in the commander's hatch. You can seat 10 in that baby. $$$

OR, build a platform and let people ride in the back sticking up through the cargo hatch. Something like what we had in the TOW conversions.

Another plus is that the engine is a pretty basic diesel. I don't remember the specs, but IIRC it was a 318. I had one go down during Reforger in Germany, and maintenance swapped in a bus power pack. Drop in fit, and we had to finagle the throttle cable.

No, it's not a tank, but if you can get one, it will carry more paying passengers and it's fun to drive.

Chief_919

As everyone has mentioned, anything armored and tracked takes money to get in to and money to keep going. And lots of specialized tools.

My suggestion would be to start with an M548. Parts are easy to get as they are mostly M113 parts. Running examples can be had for $25,000- far less than most APC's. And you can seat as many in the back as you can an M35. It drives just like an APC.

You can also get a ring mount and set up a dummy 50 cal on it if you want, and could build all sorts of stuff in the bed.

One big plus is that is has somewhat normal doors- I will bet a good 50% or better of the US population couldn't get into or fit into most real armored vehicles, an M548 will fit them and be easy for the fat/old/broken to get into with a step platform.

I am just across the mountain if I can help with anything.

Attachments

Last edited:

MetaRinka

I'm in a similar boat, been thinking of offering a ride service with OT-64's. I can get the vehicle imported cheap enough but parts are hard to come by, so I've been thinking of doing a complete engine/transmission swap out to a DT466E and allison tranny from an old international truck. I'm pretty sold on the idea, but I've had a few people say the OT-64's are a nightmare to wrench on.

have you looked at any of the old soviet APC, BDRM'2 BTR-60's and 80's? The BDRM's are quite easy to come by in working condition

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks