• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank Engine ID

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continental AV1790, 12-cylinder air-cooled, used in the earlier M48 and M60 series Patton tanks of the 1960s prior to their replacement with modern diesel power packs. Here's a pic of the same engine above, as restored by the American Armored Foundation Tank Museum (pic from Wikipedia).

Continental AV1790 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:roll: I was doing the dishes and frying some fish for dinner. Sorry

rlwm211

1,600 hp (1,200 kW) and 3,000 ft·lbf (4,100 N·m) of torque. Allison 5 speed auto behind it.

Jay Leno bought one of these and had Gail Banks add two turbos and upped the horse power and cleaned up the emissions. The top RPM is around 2800.

All aluminum construction on the engine and the car weighs around 9500 pounds.

SEAFIRE

wow,
fast replies. thanks for the answers, we were curious as to what they were.

There are two of them in the back of the yard at the Texas Facilities Commission Federal Surplus yard in San Antonio.
Available to Govt and tax exempt agencies only, they are supposed to sell the stuff to the public after it spends more than a year in the yard, but these look like they have been there a while......

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you know to replace a starter in an M60 that beast needs to come out :shock: We have an M60 at the Museum that ahs a fubar starter, me thinks it is gonna come out this summer :cool:

dittle

Working on anything dealing with the powertrain in a tank sucks.....plain and simple. Easiest thing to do is pull it and work on it where you can get to it.

txdodge43man

Yea I looked at those engines over a year ago. one had been open to the weather for god knows how long and looked like a take out. the other one had been taken out of a wood shipping crate not to long before I looked at them but that was a year ago im sure they are full of water now

shootER

Did you know to replace a starter in an M60 that beast needs to come out :shock: We have an M60 at the Museum that ahs a fubar starter, me thinks it is gonna come out this summer :cool:
AFAIK, you've got to pull the pack to get to the starter.

Once had a tank in my platoon short out the starter because the drain plugs were stopped up with mud and the engine compartment filled up with water on the wash rack. They had to pull the pack to replace it.

KsM715

Yea I looked at those engines over a year ago. one had been open to the weather for god knows how long and looked like a take out. the other one had been taken out of a wood shipping crate not to long before I looked at them but that was a year ago im sure they are full of water now

Those would still make some cool garage foder. 8)

neighbor: "whats that over in the corner?"

me: "oh, that? Thats just a tank engine."

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH, with his KY jelly covered hands, flew like greased lightning and beat me typing the correct answer.

I was doing the dishes and frying some fish for dinner. Sorry
Wait, you mean DH cooks his fish in KY???? I gotta get that recipe.

Regarding those motors, are their on-the-shelf replacement parts available or do you need to befriend a machine shop for producing new parts?

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks