• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank Explosion In OR

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I met Steve last year at the Louisville, KY MVPA National Convention and saw him again in Topeka this year. **** of a nice guy.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A parallel thread can be found it the Chaplain's Corner.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...board-1944-M-18-Hellcat&p=1787457#post1787457

I would suggest that this thread be reserved for ARMOR FORENSIC discussion, and the other be dedicated to the personal and spiritual aspects and fall-out from this tragedy.
I will default to the decision of our other Moderators.

Having referred this to a seasoned Moderator, we agree...

PLEASE address your ARMOR and FORENSIC concerns and discussion in THIS THREAD.

Whereas, as intended in the Chaplain's Corner, let's keep our spiritual and condolence posts over in that thread, found in the link above.

Thank you all for your cooperation and concern.

John
SS Chaplain.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heard the one survived long enough (not sure which one) to say what happened. Also from what I've heard it was a hang-fire and the breech was opened too soon and it went off with it open. Not sure how far along in the process of removing the round was when it went off.

j.

BnaditCorps

Well I am thinking that the breach exploded, misfire, or a hang-fire.

But the odds of a breach explosion are very small, rules that one out for the most part.

Misfire, Not very likely, especially with the attention to detail on the shells. Unless the original shells were being used, then all bets are off.

Hang-fire would be it in my opinion, maybe something got the powder wet and thus it didn't go off for 'x' amount of time agreed on by both of them. They went to remove it, and well, here we are discussing it.

o1951

Question for former tank men - what is the useful life of shells?
We should try to find out age of the shells they were firing.
I know with small arms, really old stuff can hang fire or misfire.

Jeepsinker

Old shells are just like old explosives and the like. They may still work, but they are way more dangerous. 40- 50 years in proper storage is pushing it as things start to degrade such as powder and primers regardless of storage conditions. 99% says they were shooting hand loaded rounds and something wasn't right with the shell in question. In case you hadn't noticed, Cabelas' doesn't carry anti armor artillery rounds anymore, that's why I'm saying handloads.

Jeepsinker

What a shame what happened to these two good men. I sure hope ATF doesn't go after everyone that has things like this now just because of one tragic incident.

I've seen the machine in question several times at the last two Portland, Or conventions and actually saw them hauling on a lowboy a few months back on I-5 - it is a very well done restoration and it is obvious from the attention to detail they do not cut corners.

I was very sad to hear of the situation and pass my condolences on to both families - while a full investigation of what the issue at hand that caused the explosion will no doubt be undertaken; the number of live pieces like this in private hands make a short list so I don't know how many specific lessons can be learned as each situation is fairly unique...

That said a hang fire is undoubtedly the event with the greatest risk, uncertainty, and potential for catastrophe that anyone could attempt to successfully manage.

Again I just want both families to know the entire OD community feels for their loss as it was plain to see how much passion Steve (and Austin as well I would gather) had for sharing this stuff and preserving history.

Matt

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a shame what happened to these two good men. I sure hope ATF doesn't go after everyone that has things like this now just because of one tragic incident.
I agree. Hopefully politicians won't get involved etc, etc. This is NOT meant as a political post.

What are the chances that the breech exploded?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOTICE:

BEFORE POSTING, please re-read posts #22 & #23 (quoted below)

Keeping the separation of these two topics is intentionally defined. Your cooperation is appreciated. Thank you.

A parallel thread can be found it the Chaplain's Corner.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...board-1944-M-18-Hellcat&p=1787457#post1787457

I would suggest that this thread be reserved for ARMOR FORENSIC discussion, and the other be dedicated to the personal and spiritual aspects and fall-out from this tragedy.
I will default to the decision of our other Moderators.
Having referred this to a seasoned Moderator, we agree...

PLEASE address your ARMOR and FORENSIC concerns and discussion in THIS THREAD.

Whereas, as intended in the Chaplain's Corner, let's keep our spiritual and condolence posts over in that thread, found in the link above.

Thank you all for your cooperation and concern.

John
SS Chaplain.

Steve Greenberg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,
Please join the Preston Family for a celebration the life of Steve Preston. Tuesday, November 17at 1:00pm Service will be in Hall D of the Portland Expo Center, 2060 N Marine Dr, Portland, OR 97217. (There will no charge for parking)

https://www.facebook.com/events/183254965348826/

We are planning a procession of both military vehicles and tow trucks. At this time I do not know how many will be able to participate the procession due to permit issues. It will more than likely be a limited number. If so, everyone is welcome to go to the Expo Center in an MV. I will update this as soon as we get all the information.

For those of you who have contacted me to express your condolences to Steve's family I have done so for everyone of you. Sorry if I was able to get back to you.
Hope to see you all there.

Austin Lee's Celebration of Life will be held at 3:00 PM this coming Sunday, November 8, 2015 at the Tumwater Room, 211 Tumwater Drive, Oregon City, OR 97405.

There is a go fund me account set up for Austin Lee's family:
https://www.youcaring.com/margaret-e...bob-lee-458959

Thanks,
Steve Greenberg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks