• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank float doesn't float....

coyotegray

Tank float doesn't float.... **Does Now**

While troubleshooting the aux fuel system on my MEP-003a today I discovered several problems. One is that if I remove the float switch from the tank and raise or lower the float it works fine. But it will not rise in the tank.

Anyone ever run into a float losing its buoyancy..?

Last edited:

det rebel

yea its got a pin hole in it somewhere or it has filled with fuel best way i know of is get you a something like a clear cup fill it with gas then stick the float in real slowly and look for bubbles

coyotegray

The float is solid but saturated with fuel so it sinks..
Anyone have this problem before..?

Delks wants $120 or so for a new unit so I would like to find a way to fix this one...

ETA: Idea. Im going to make a new one out of balsa wood and coat it with epoxy...

Last edited:

LuckyDog

The float is solid but saturated with fuel so it sinks..
Anyone have this problem before..?

Delks wants $120 or so for a new unit... so I would like to find a way to fix this one...

I've never tried this before but "therotically" it might work: Try boiling and/or baking?

First, does it sink in a bucket of water? if so, it is most likely saturated with water. If it floats, it is saturated with diesel or some oil.

Boiling (with a weight to hold it under water) might drive off the oils
Baking at a low temperature will drive off the moisture.
Then seal it up with a substance not affected by fuel.

Just an idea. (I'm full of 'em, some of them actually have worked!)

ETA: Idea. Im going to make a new one out of balsa wood and coat it with epoxy...
If you do this, cut the old one apart and see if/where the magnet inside. Float switches I am familiar with have a magnet inside that closes the switch when it moves up. Other than that, your idea is feasible.

Good Luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks