• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank Pumping Unit - TPU modification help

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of these tanks I need a foot valve for myself. My gaskets don't leak, but the big shutoff valves don't seal. Want to get rid of the pump and hose reel? I could really use them.
Pump is already gone but we could probably come to an agreement on something to trade for the reel and tool box. Of course it's a "pick up" only type of thing :)

I used sealant around the dump valve. I have no intention of ever draining it that way so just sealed it up.

Jeepsinker

Ok cool. I already have a pump, so no problem there. The reel is what I'm really after. Pm me what you are looking for in trade. I'm not sure what I have in trading material, but I always have something laying around.

TexAndy

Now to leak test and see if the gasket works.

The 24V pumps are great. Mkcoen gave me his and I've used it to pump about 500 gallons or so of WMO into the top of a tank on a 12 foot stand. Not for deuce fuel (future cast iron melting furnace fuel) It worked pretty hard on some of that (gear oil), but it got the job done.

Pumping diesel? Where I worked last, they had a bunch of de-fueled helicopter Jet A that they had to get rid of. So I got a bunch of that for free. That stuff pumped FAST. Pump motor didn't even get warm.

Only downside to the pump is that it is a two man operation if you don't have the nice switch on a cord that you plug into the cannon plug on the pump. Was able to make it work by sticking short wires from a hardware store switch directly into the plug, but one guy had to stand there at the pump while the other operated the output hose and gave hand signals for switch operation.

TexAndy

Nope. I just went to an oilfield supply place and got a camlock fitting with a barb end and some smaller dia, more flexible hose than the military stuff and used that.

Nozzle on the end of that would probably be a good idea.

Jeepsinker

Yeah you need either the nozzle or the wire with switch. Both is nice, but the nozzle alone is better than just the switch. My pump doesn't use the remote switch, no provision for it either.

NEIOWA

Be very very careful if you plan to move that with fuel in it. in the 80s when on active duty the Army had a big problem with rolling M105 with pods in them. High CG, narrow track and over GVW. Recipe for disaster all around. And as typically hauled unit Mogas (5t TPU hauling diesel) not good. A written in stone Regulation can down not to do.

Changed to single pod on a bolster trailer which worked out great as much lower CG, wider track and appropriate load. Gravity fed and as I recall with no filters.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be very very careful if you plan to move that with fuel in it. in the 80s when on active duty the Army had a big problem with rolling M105 with pods in them. High CG, narrow track and over GVW. Recipe for disaster all around. And as typically hauled unit Mogas (5t TPU hauling diesel) not good. A written in stone Regulation can down not to do.
As mentioned earlier this is just a FIXED storage point. The pod is filled with the trailer in place. If it gets moved at all it will simply be around my VERY flat property.