• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tap Broken off in M1009 front yoke

ryan77

I broke a tap off in a steering column, there is no easy way to get it out, i ended up just replacing the column, i would get a new yoke and be done with it,,,,,,,,,,,,

I've broken a few taps in my days as an outside machinist in the local shipyard (just a few, I was usually very careful) and have used various methods already described. Taps are very strong (read that brittle) and if it was dayshift we got a disintegrator (picture a carbon arc cutter on a mag drill base), but at night we had to get medieval on them with fire and hammers. The new type of multi-size sockets with the pins in them night work. There is an actual broken tap extractor with 4 fingers that slide into the flutes on the tap and the tap is backed out with a wrench. Good luck.

beanman1

the easy way to get a ta out is get it chery red anf then hit i with a punch and a hammer but please wear safety glasses because the tap will explode

ernieflash

Dont waste your time or money just get a new one. throwing good money after bad trying to get the tap out, if it were a $10000 dollar die then I would think about EDM but really a yoke ?aua

Okeydokey, I think it is time to unsubscribe this thread. I keep getting emails from it and it has finally dawned on me, no offense, but it is really about as interesting as watching grass grow. I have broken taps off in parts before, and been able to get them out. If not, I don't think I would start a discussion on it, but that's just me. Why not save the threads on broken taps for something expensive like an engine block or transmission case? Now there would be good reason to grab some informed opinions on something like that, but like Ernie said, a yoke? Does your husband think he could fix it for you?

I knew someone would have to take offense at my sparse attempt of humor. When I tried to play golf once, and looked like I was trying to kill a snake when teeing off, one of my buddies asked me if my husband played, and I thought that was a pretty funny comment that would be appropriate for 3 pages of yak over a yolk. Like I said: NO OFFENSE.
I also realize I forgot to unsubscribe from this thread, which I will do now. Have fun with figuring out how to save a part that would be cheaper to replace than fix.

Barrman

I am replacing it. It just isn't here yet. Besides, I just started this thread yesterday.

I agree that replacement is better. However, the yoke/tap has challenged me and I must answer.

Chris, I didn't even think about plasma since I don't have one at home. I will bring it in for the welding class to mess with once I have the replacement on the truck and everything is good. Thanks for helping me out in finding new ways to annoy the welding teacher with all my weird projects. Good thing his wife keeps messing up their car and my class fixes it for him.

Speaking of killing snakes. I had my Scouts out last night helping one of them do an Eagle project. 6 teenagers with axes or machetes spread out over a 4 acre 160 year old cemetary cutting down brush and trees when one of them yells SNAKE!!!! Nobody lost any body parts, except the snake which was killed by the boy who lives about 200 yards from the site. "It will eat my chickens" was his reasoning when I told them all to leave it alone. He had a point, so he took care of it. Took him a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks