• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tapping that comes and goes

ohnuts

The front of my LDT465 engine has a tap that comes and goes. Sounds like a wrist pin in the compressor connecting rod. The compressor gets its oil from the motor block and doesnt need oil? One thread mentiond it might be bearing slap on the water pump.

question: how is the compressor oiled?

q: does the water pump have a weep hole for the bearing wear to show?

q: anybody want to sell a compressor?

q: is there a source for water pumps?

q: non of the threads looked like anybody ever found a rebuild manual for the compressors.

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Could it be when the governor kicks in for the air compressor that the noise happens? If so, mine does it too and I think its normal when there an actual load on the air compressor. Its oiled by the engine oil.

hole

Mine started to make an intermittant " rattle " noise, turned out to be the hood rattling because the hinges are worn. It was a bit unsettling until I figured that out.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can hear the compressor working on my truck, and it is intermittent, depending on whether it's pumping or not. Sounds like a normal noise to me, but yours might be nosier.

Water pump has a weep hole.

Don't know if anyone has rebuilt the compressors, a truck shop would probably have the kit. There are 2 different compressor's installed, a twin cylinder, and a single cylinder.

Dennis

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's you oil pressure?

BTW, I do have a take-off compressor from an LDS465-1A engine that you can have for $45 plus shipping. It appears to be in good condition. It's a dual piston type and turns smoothly, some exterior dirt and rust and would be sold "as is". Shipping weight is 30 lb from 24120.

ohnuts

Hello Back to everyone.

Guess this is why we need to kick each others tires and listen now and then. Not so worried now but these trucks are supposed to fail total when no air is avail. The chatter is so sudden and then stops complete. Think I'm going with the under load idea.