• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tarp fix question

TheWeatherMan

I have the newer camo cargo tarp on my truck, the plastic type material one with rubber bungee like cords to hold it down. Anyways it is coming apart at the seam in one spot. So my question is what type of glue should I use to fix it? Has anyone on here had this problem?

Keith_J

Permatex makes a vinyl repair kit you can get at your local auto parts store. Has a little electric iron for curing the resin. This stuff WORKS. If seams are pulling, use needle and thread to reinforce, then cover with the vinyl repair gel in a matching color (mix colors to match), then cover with the grain paper and put the heat to it for the cure.

jasonjc

Not meaning to be a smart a$$ , but do you have the cover on the right way? The one pice covers have a front and back. If put on backwards it will start to rip seems. I've seen alot of them on wrong. I'd hate to see you spend alot of time and $$ just for it to rip again.

wsucougarx

I have used Gorilla glue on the sewed on eyelets for the rubber cords. Seems that's a weak point on these covers. So far so good. It has held up for 2 years;-)

wsucougarx

Just look at how the cover is on. Does the forward end catch wind? If so then it's on backwards. Just as ODI said, the inside of the cover at the 12:00 position should be marked FRONT.
Another tall tell sign, some of the tarps two cinching straps on the "FRONT" end to loop on the bed tie down loops.

jasonjc

Here are some pic's. The frist one is the back corner see how the cover comes from the side and wraps around the back.
The next is the front, see how the cover comes from the front of the truck and wraps around to the side. This is so the air moving across the cove keeps it down. If you put it the over way the air will get under the flap and try to pull it a part.

When I was a helicopter mechanic in the army we had to put bolts in so the air flow would "push" the bolt in if the nut fell off:roll: Had an inspetor get on to me one day for having a bolt in the wrong way (it was on a part that truned) so I truned the part 180deg and said here I fixed it.[thumbzup]

Crap this computer will not read my card from the camer how I clear with out the pic'sauaauaauaaua

edit
*Yep thats on right*

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Yes, it's on correctly;-). However, the rear flaps aren't oriented correctly (rear flaps go under side flaps). It'll catch wind that way. Where's the seam that needs fixing?

Last edited:

TheWeatherMan

the seam is up top, I would go take a pick but it just started raining here and is very windy. Also I noticed 2 small holes that will need fixing soon

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also use "shoe goo", but if you do, find some way of holding the two pieces together (not tightly, but with some pressure) for about 48 hours, longer when it's cold.