• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

tatra813

Duncan.....your trucks looking great! I took mine out this weekend and got in some gnarly mud holes and soft dirt. I just kept on going and going It still surprised me when I push it these trucks drive like they are on tracks!.....seriously I think this unique drivetrain is what really makes the truck and the performance

duncan

Well, it was an interesting day, but we failed to get the vehicle imported. The paperwork I got with it is no good :(:sad: This might take a while.

Altogether we did about 250miles today. She runs 55mph nicely, no problems uphill either, kept doing 50/55 (at least not on the speedbumps we call hills in this flat country). Found out she's definately a female truck, and needs tender love and care when driven. The nicer you are, the better she purrs and performs. She's also a huge attention-magnet. Rubberneckers everywhere :mrgreen:

Also used to opportunity to scrap some old metal parts that were too big to get on a regular trailer.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

April 28th, 2010.

The yellow TATRA in the videos of pushing sand is quite a piece of machinery, I think even the Texans around here would get out of your way, which they never seem to do for either a deuce or a Unimog.... I love the locking differntials on the S404.114 Swiss that I have, but even a steep enough climb on loose sand or topsoil will foil the system if there's not enough speed on it to start with.... I'm still Drooling over the restoration, though.....

duncan

Thanks for the compliments. She's a beauty (a stubborn one though) to drive. Maybe some day I'll get a chance to test your theory about driving in Texas, but it's a long way from here. Would love to make a tour of the USA and Canada some day, see some of you in person and maybe join everyone at haspin or something... ah, a man has to dream :)

duncan

Well it's been a while, and I'm still chasing the proper paperwork. Meanwhile, since Im not allowed to drive without said papers, its time for some more TLC.

There were a few oil leaks I had to address. Traced one to the gasket between the engine and the compressor. The compressor is belt driven but gets oil from the engine.

IMG00318.jpg IMG00319.jpg

While it was off... wait, why not clean it up a little while I'm at it? So, took it completely apart, sandblasted, cleaned and coated everything. Thank god I did, because I found one of the circlips for a piston pin was missing. Just pure luck that the pin had not scratched the barrel yet :roll: Also cleaned a lot of gunk out of the labyrinth.

DSC02467.jpg DSC02474.jpg

Anyway, new sealing rings, and stick every back together, so now it looks like this. Which, obviously, makes one think "oh no, now the rest of the engine looks bad in comparison".

DSC02475.jpg IMG00339.jpg

So for the next "small" project, I removed the top engine air duct, the air intake and all the high pressure fuel lines. That'll take a while to clean up, for sure ;) and I already caught myself thinking about having a go on the front cooling fan too. What would I do with my time without a project like this :roll:

IMG00337.jpg IMG00338.jpg

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the update, Duncan, learning a lot about the Tatra from your posts.
I end up doing a lot of those same kind of projects due to limited funds, Take something apart and end up spending a lot on small parts anyway....no way around it. :)

tatra813

Well it's been a while, and I'm still chasing the proper paperwork. Meanwhile, since Im not allowed to drive without said papers, its time for some more TLC.

There were a few oil leaks I had to address. Traced one to the gasket between the engine and the compressor. The compressor is belt driven but gets oil from the engine.

View attachment 182055 View attachment 182056

While it was off... wait, why not clean it up a little while I'm at it? So, took it completely apart, sandblasted, cleaned and coated everything. Thank god I did, because I found one of the circlips for a piston pin was missing. Just pure luck that the pin had not scratched the barrel yet :roll: Also cleaned a lot of gunk out of the labyrinth.

View attachment 182057 View attachment 182058

Anyway, new sealing rings, and stick every back together, so now it looks like this. Which, obviously, makes one think "oh no, now the rest of the engine looks bad in comparison".

View attachment 182059 View attachment 182060

So for the next "small" project, I removed the top engine air duct, the air intake and all the high pressure fuel lines. That'll take a while to clean up, for sure ;) and I already caught myself thinking about having a go on the front cooling fan too. What would I do with my time without a project like this :roll:

View attachment 182061 View attachment 182062

Looks great!......**** you have some serious time on your hands!!!

duncan

Well, I went and removed the cooling fan too. Cleaned and sandblasted everything. Spend a bunch of wire brushes on the inside of the engine and had to use an industrial size vacuum cleaner to get all the dirt out from between the cylinders.

Coated all the diesel pressure lines in brown, the air intakes blue, and the engine covers in green. A little brighter green than I expected, but hey, noone will see it with the engine covers on :roll:

Next project will be to get the communication equipment set up. I have a full duplex rally intercom with 2 headsets, and it will be connected to the car stereo on one side, and to a 27mc radio transmitter on the other side. This way we can listen to the radio, talk to the co-driver and go 10-4 rubber-duck over the same sytem.

As an extra, Im thinking of linking some outdoor speakers/PA system to the set, and putting them on the roof. Might be handy for talking to people in the troop benches, and definately will be nice to tell some of the other drivers what you think of them in their annoying little cars :twisted: Ah, a man has to dream :mrgreen:

Attachments

duncan

Finally had a chance to put the truck to good use today. Some no-brainer parked his car right on our driveway, trapping all the other parked cars.

Well, at least I didnt buy a tank recovery vehicle for nothing :-D

Please dont burn me for using a chain to tow, it was the only thing handy that would fit such a small car, and its a hoisting chain rated for 14 metric tonnes :roll:

Edit: and if you look closely (thats you, bjorn :)) you can see a USMC jeep in the background, belongs to my neighbour.

Attachments

Radegast

Tatra

hello guys, I´m new in here, so I´m only watching around, but I wanna let you know that I can send you any needed TATRA parts (I´m in city Ostrava , it is maybe 20 miles from city Koprivnice where TATRA facoty is located and I have manny friends there and I have friends who have TATRA parts from Czech army). let me know what you need and I´ll check for how much money it is aviable here in Czech republic.

duncan

Well it's taken a while, but I finally got the required stamps and approvements! Truck is now officially titled and registered :beer: This means I can finally use it's full potential (use it to buy loads of beer) :roll:

Mandatory pics follow:

Attachments

Flat Black

just spent the last two weeks reading every page of this thread (only when I had some extra free time of course). I cant say anything that has not been said already. Congratulations on a very cool truck that you have put a lot of hard work, love and time into. :D

Did you see any 815 crew/double cabs at ATH Tatra? Would love to have one of those and put it onto a domestic cabover chassis.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks