• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

duncan

Well the tunnel is booked so we're going to be descending on your friend to look at his truck on Sunday morning.
Make pics! I havent seen that one myself yet! Good luck man, you deserve a worthy 8 wheeler!

So, another long day of cleaning, sanding, and painting... it's hard to tell the progress when you're alone working on something this size.

Last edited:

duncan

Started work on the battery box. After a while I decided it might be best to just remove the entire thing and do it properly. Must restrain myself from ending up doing a frame-off rebuild!

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing wrong working by your lonesome. :)

I like to compare notes and here is a similar shot of my xm757 two years ago (to the day, as a matter fact).
The engine is further forward on the 813. What is the weight distribution on the 813 axles?

Attachments

duncan

Well currently its hanging to the front a bit cause the engine is there. The cab is very thin and light so doesnt really matter in the equation. Since the transmission is in the centre, the weight is almost even over all axles when the cargo bed is on. Engine front, transmission centre, bed on rear, good combo. It loads about 7 ton (in kilos), which I guess makes it a bit tail heavy. The manual states it needs to be fully loaded when you're pulling trailers over 65 tonnes (kilos, again) to improve traction.

Most of the restorations on these forums make me want to go further in cleaning and fixing mine. Just can't afford it, both money and time wise. It's only looks anyway. When I switch on the evening news on TV, seeing the quakes, floods, fires, etc that rampage around the world, I get the feeling I need to finish this thing asap, and prepare it for zombie-apocalypse. Dont want to be sat around helpless when **** hits the fan here.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the restorations on these forums make me want to go further in cleaning and fixing mine. Just can't afford it, both money and time wise. It's only looks anyway.......
Don't let the picture fool you, I restore for function, not for looks, kind of like you. :)

tatra813

Make pics! I havent seen that one myself yet! Good luck man, you deserve a worthy 8 wheeler!

So, another long day of cleaning, sanding, and painting... it's hard to tell the progress when you're alone working on something this size. But I made a bunch of pictures :D

This is what it all looked like this morning:

View attachment 145216 View attachment 145217

Found the blue paint for the air intake, so that's now finished. Will do the 2 smaller ducts on the engine too when I feel like it.

View attachment 145218

And since the black tar arrived, I figured I'd get the air tanks a nice and shiny coat.

View attachment 145219 View attachment 145220

Started on the back of the truck. Figured I'd take on some of the easier parts first to get the hang of it. It's amazing what a little paint does in the way of looks.

View attachment 145226 View attachment 145227

Gave a fenders a little love too

View attachment 145228 View attachment 145229
Looks like you finaly got the new cab, did Mortar actually come through for you?

tatra813

Well currently its hanging to the front a bit cause the engine is there. The cab is very thin and light so doesnt really matter in the equation. Since the transmission is in the centre, the weight is almost even over all axles when the cargo bed is on. Engine front, transmission centre, bed on rear, good combo. It loads about 7 ton (in kilos), which I guess makes it a bit tail heavy. The manual states it needs to be fully loaded when you're pulling trailers over 65 tonnes (kilos, again) to improve traction.

Most of the restorations on these forums make me want to go further in cleaning and fixing mine. Just can't afford it, both money and time wise. It's only looks anyway. When I switch on the evening news on TV, seeing the quakes, floods, fires, etc that rampage around the world, I get the feeling I need to finish this thing asap, and prepare it for zombie-apocalypse. Dont want to be sat around helpless when **** hits the fan here.

Youve got some serious time on your hands, it looks good, get it done so I can see you playing in it.

duncan

Looks like you finaly got the new cab, did Mortar actually come through for you?
Thats the old cab sadly. We've given up on Mortar ('we' cause we're doing a group buy). As soon as talks get to the serious point like "where is your company so we can arrange a pick up", they avoid the questions. Theyre also very slow to reply to mails and often dont answer the phone. We're going with ATH Tatra now, they've always been nice and quick to respond, just twice as expensive.

Youve got some serious time on your hands, it looks good, get it done so I can see you playing in it.
My current job contract ends this week. I got myself a new job already, but it starts 1st of november. So I get 3 months of (unpaid) free time to work :D Hope to have the truck and bed painted and all the air lines replaced by then.

duncan

The amount of work on this thing is insane. I might need a break soon to put it all in perspective. Ive done so much today and in the end you dont see a single bit of progress. Anyway, removed the front left box to allow me to work on the bumper, painted the air tanks again and wire-brushed the bottom of the truck (horror job). More tomorow!

Last edited:

FridgeFreezer

Well here's an update from my weekend - been to see the T813 Duncan located for me but have not come home with a new set of keys. There is a lot to think about... in the meantime, here's some pictures:

lk_IMG_2552.JPG
lk_PICT0002.JPG
lk_IMG_2570.JPG

The overall condition is good, mechanically I can believe the 1100km / 360 hours shown on the dashboard. It certainly runs smoother and quieter than the last one we looked at. It's very complete - all the lights are present with guards, and the running gear all looks very clean.

Unfortunately, the gear linkage was worn or badly adjusted (same as the last one!) so driving it was tricky - you could have reverse, 1st, or 4th. CTIS was also not connected (same again!). It's not road legal, which is a hurdle (and meant we could only drive round the yard). The cab needs a good cleanup, a new cab would probably be the best option but there's no way I'd have the money for that.

The saga continues... :p

duncan

As for the shifting, I'm willing to bet the clutch is not properly adjusted and probably down on fluid. It took me a few weeks to get right. Had to make special tool for it, disassemble the fluid expansion bottle to clean, and drained air out of the system about 10 times. It now shifts as smooth as any modern day road car, just a bit heabier ofcourse.

It looks good, funny to see they did the same straight-up exhaust and removed all the toolboxes between cab and bed, just as I did. There's a spare wheel in there if I'm right? Tough decision :) Hope you buy it and pick up next month so I get to see it drive on the track day. I'm in no way benefitting from the sale so will give you an honest opinion too.

John C

I forgot to mention I also adjusted the clutch on mine a while ago - I worked out that if you hold the clutch pedal down the adjuster is easier to turn, in fact I did it by using the end of a screwdriver and taping it around gently with a hammer :wink:

If only certain gears are hard to get then it's most likely that the air operated gear shift assister is at fault - unless of course the gearbox itself is fooked :-|

FridgeFreezer

I think it's mostly the ball joint on the gear lever slopping about, I don't know if it's adjustment or replacement needed though. The guy had adjusted it recently for a similar reason but he may have gone a tad too far.

I tried to get in touch with Tatra today to run the serial number past them but no-one's answering their phone - is there a Czech holiday going on? Google says not.

One point of interest was that the guy was fitting 16x21 tyres to his T815 for extra ground clearance, but they would also raise the gearing slightly. They don't (quite) touch each other on the 815 so I'm not sure if they'd be an option on the 813.

duncan

You need to have the clutch pedal down to adjust. The tool to adjust the clutch plates looks like the tool you use to un-tighten your angle grinder disc lock plate, just bigger ;) Easy to make youself.

Next to setting the clutch to required 20-22mm gap, I replaced the little air hose going to the clutch pedal. The old one was worn out so it expanded under the pressure of pushing the pedal down. There was a lot of dirt in there as well. Maybe just removing and cleaning would do for you.

John C

Thanks Duncan.

I had already had a look at the hose and it seemed clean inside. The clutch gap I was able to set using a set of internal calipers - Mine defiantly needed the adjustment, the previous owner had backed it off so far the adjuster plate was lose and rattling about, I had something like a 45mm gap, I presume he must have thought you'd set it like a normal clutch.

BTW your truck looks like its really coming along now. I wish I had the inclination to do mine as throughly - probably end up just doing mechanics and slapping a bit of paint around.

duncan

Well, when slapping that paint around, you'll start removing some parts here and there and end up like me, with a stripped truck. When making it mechinally sound you might end up redoing a lot of the air system too. Anyway, time to head to the garage, there's work to be done!

duncan

Hey, we got our own subforum! Way to go!

So, as for today's progress:

Took the old side/width marker lights off with the intention of fixing them up a bit. Ended up making new ones. Mounted the refurbished winch guide (whatever you call it) on the rear bumper. And couldnt stop myself from touching up the two levers for winch and hi/lo gearing.

It's all drying now, another coat tomorow and then I can mount everything again. I also visited the truck part supplier for about 2 hours picking replacement parts. Getting a new modern air cleaner and pressure reduction valve, pressure switches, and some other small bits and pieces. Expensive stuff but should be worth every penny in protection and easier maintenance.

Last edited:

tatra813

Hey, we got our own subforum! Way to go!

So, as for today's progress:

Took the old side/width marker lights off with the intention of fixing them up a bit. Ended up making new ones.

View attachment 146066 View attachment 146067

Mounted the refurbished winch guide (whatever you call it) on the rear bumper.

View attachment 146068

Cleaning, sandblasting and painting the headlights and the reverse-light (identical units).

View attachment 146069 View attachment 146070

And couldnt stop myself from touching up the two levers for winch and hi/lo gearing.

View attachment 146071 View attachment 146072

It's all drying now, another coat tomorow and then I can mount everything again. I also visited the truck part supplier for about 2 hours picking replacement parts. Getting a new modern air cleaner and pressure reduction valve, pressure switches, and some other small bits and pieces. Expensive stuff but should be worth every penny in protection and easier maintenance.

View attachment 146073 View attachment 146074
Looking good! I like the yellow paint on the winch guide

duncan

Right, another long day of work. You'll once again have to excuse me for the lack of pictures, but I was covered in paint, dirt, grease and rust so I wouldnt dare touch anything fragile like a camera. But there are some aftermath-pictures!

Basicly, rented a good air compressor, got a spray gun with big nozzle and away I went. Resulting in 1 litre of primer and 5 litres of black paint moved from canister onto truck. The chassis is black now, as is the entire understructure of the cargo bed. Crazy amount of work, but its looking great. From here on, I can start rebuilding the thing!

I bought that new air processing unit (forgot to make picture of it though). It's a great bit of kit. Comes with replaceable air filter for filtering water, oil, etc. It has an integrated air pressure regulator, and coolest of all, theres an electric air heater unit inside with thermostat. It'll start heating the air when temperature drops below 7 celcius or something. This means I can do away with the old water separator, anti-freeze bottle, oil separator and pressure regulator. The filter needs replacing once a year on heavy hauling trucks that get used daily. So, once every 5 to 10 yrs would be enough for me :roll:

Last day of work tomorow, then I get my 3 weeks off so I can work on the truck even more :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks