• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra (Off)Roadtrip

duncan

Last thursday, the phone rang in the workshop, and it got handed to me: "They want to speak to the guy with the truck".

Asked wheter I felt like joining a weekend of offroading in Germany... departure within the next 12 hours....

With the thought in mind that it's a 400mile roundtrip to another country, but I've never driven the truck more than 80miles around the area so far.... well... sure, why not!

Quickly called a mate to be co-pilot, put the bows and tarp on, get some basic supplies and clean clothes, a lot of extra engine oil, 2 full tanks of diesel, a short night of shuteye, and go!

We already missed the main convoy, they left earlier that morning, so we were driving alone. I rolled her onto the highway, pointed the fuzzy dice in the direction of Germany, and put the hand-throttle somewhere around a steady 50mph. Apart from a little traffic jam, and ofcourse the insane amount of rubbernecking, the trip was perfectly uneventful, and to everyone's amazement we rolled into the german military base without incidents.

Spent the entire saturday driving around the massive offroad park. Every now and then some people would come to find me telling "we found a mudhole/hill/obstacle you will never pass!", I would follow them, drive through it no problem, and drive off again :twisted: It's completely rediculous what these trucks will go through.

At one point, in the middle of a very bumpy mudhole, I suddenly lost all power to the wheels. This got a cheer from all the spectators, believing I was either stuck or broken down. A quick system check in the cab quickly reveiled my water-bottle had dropped onto the neutral-switch on the dashboard :roll: So with literally a flick of the switch, I got the truck going again and drove out no problems, again :twisted:

Sunday morning we would do another quick drive around the premises, and then head off for home. Almost immediately I was challenged by an insane set of muddy hills and holes, which, seeing as there were spectators, we just had to drive through. All went fine till all the tire tread filled up with mud, and we lost traction :shock: I need new tires, really. Took me 5 minutes and a lot of steering, but even that we managed to drive out of, be it with mud almost up to the windscreen. The completely amazed look on all the spectator's faces made the weekend complete :)

Spent well over 2 hours getting the truck cleaned after that, had to remove the mud from the air filters, battery compartment, steering compartment, etcetera... then steered onto the road again, and rolled back home. Murphy was not to be found :beer:

A lot of this trip was filmed and photographed, but currently I only have my own material. The videos need to be editted, but theres at least 3 hours of footage. Needless to say, the weekend was completely perfect. The weather was awesome, and we met a lot of good people on the way.

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:drool::drool: I envy you, can't wait to go to such meetings as well.:drool::drool:

More important, can't wait till our truck is at the level that I dare jump into it and drive 400 mile on a German highway without beeing too scared about things going wrong (any Murphy happening there, and the repair and towing costs, maybe even fine, will quickly outrun the purchase price of the entire truck).

Duncan, do you ride in any 5-May parades as well?

Saw some DAF army trucks in your pics as well. Always liked them, never ran into one I could afford. My wish for daily driver would be a DAF YA126 with a DAF YA 328 for the fun work (with thanks to the unknown owners who put these pictures on the internet)

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you had fun, Duncan. The mirror over the door in the image below, for checking tires (traction)?
Called a side-way (pr walk-way) mirror to protect you for walking or biking people next to your truck (and them from you). Legal requirement. For me, it's a PITA because, as you can see from Duncan's truck, you connect them to the upper door frame.

So I bought one thinking it would be a piece of the proverbial cake and then ended up looking at my door quite stupidly for some time.... :shock: .....my cabrio does not have an upper door frame, so eeehh :doh: now what.

Last edited:

duncan

Looks like you had fun, Duncan. The mirror over the door in the image below, for checking tires (traction)?
As mentioned above, it's a so called "sidewalk" mirror. We have a lot of bicyclists and ofcourse pedestrians. Usually at traffic lights they will stand directly next to the truck, sometimes even below the regular mirrors, making them compeltely invisible. In the attached image the yellow block is your sidewalk mirror grey and blue areas are side- and wideangle mirrors respectively.

RoboMcDuff: If you can not possible mount a sidewalk mirror (also at least minimum of 2.3 metres above ground I think), then it's not required. For safety you could use a dobli mirror.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned above, it's a so called "sidewalk" mirror. We have a lot of bicyclists and ofcourse pedestrians. Usually at traffic lights they will stand directly next to the truck, sometimes even below the regular mirrors, making them compeltely invisible. In the attached image the yellow block is your sidewalk mirror grey and blue areas are side- and wideangle mirrors respectively.

RoboMcDuff: If you can not possible mount a sidewalk mirror (also at least minimum of 2.3 metres above ground I think), then it's not required. For safety you could use a dobli mirror.
Guess, I didn't think of the civy traffic problems...

No.2Diesel

Hi,

The truck looks great! That's my kind of roadtrip! :driver:

That was nice of them to let you wash off :mrgreen:

I can see how those "curb mirrors" can come in handy.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If that is true, it would save a lot of problems. I can rig something up on the normal right mirror frame, but not having to do it in a hurry would be nice, thanks.

tatra813

Thanks for sharing Duncan.....all looks great. wheres your step and fender flare by your rear door.
I like your sleeping quarters!
Keep us posted with more pics

duncan

Thanks for sharing Duncan.....all looks great. wheres your step and fender flare by your rear door.
I like your sleeping quarters!
Keep us posted with more pics
The original ones were rusted beyond repair, and I only managed to find one new so far. Any leads to a second one are welcomed (especially by the passengers :roll:)

I did manage to get some pictures from other people though, to put things in perspective :mrgreen:

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DUNCAN, your truck is amazing. Thank you for sharing the pictures. I can't wait to see the videos! I wonder how the MAN 8X8s and HEMTTs compare performance-wise. I've owned two HEMTTs and never really took them off-roading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks