• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taxes on Gov liquidation?????

This will be my first time bidding on gov liquiidation and I'm looking at purchasing a truck in another state. I see on gov liquidation that you are supposed to pay tax in the state where you purchase the vehicle. Does that mean that when I license the truck in MN I have to pay sales tax again?? Any tips on the govliquidation process for newbie?

Thanks,
Andy

ida34

Most of the time, if MN taxes are more than the taxes charged they will charge the difference. If it is less you just don't have to pay any more.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the way it is set up. Unfortunately, I have found that MD does not care if taxes were paid previously as they insist on collecting taxes when they title the vehicle...irrespective of whether or not taxes may have been incorrectly paid previously.

halftrack

Same here in LA Bruce. You get doubled taxed. I believe this was one of Joe Youngs compliants about the whole setup. The question still remains on whether the state tax that GL charges for your win is even collected by that respective state and GL is just not "pocketing" the money. Who knows.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They don't pocket the money. The auditors would have a field day. They send it to the states, but there is no breakdown as to what the goods were. In MD, this means they send MD a 5% sales tax, but the state does not care that it is on a vehicle, because they don't know. When you title it, you pay the 5% "use" tax. Personally, I have had to remind them 3 times that they need to refund my taxes on vehicles, and they do.

Most times, it depends on how the state you are buying in handles the fact that you are an out-of-state buyer... Call an automobile dealer in that state and ask them.

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
taxes

My complaint with GL is at the Fort Cambell site.Fort Cambell has a Kentucky address there for it is in KY but the GL office charges tennessee sales tax. They told me it is because the majority of the base is in Tennessee.They didnt care what the official address is.
Man I miss the old days of local sales.

Coveralls

Andy,you could wait till a truck comes up in ND. They didn't charge me any sales tax on my 817. In. is 6% at the moment . I have not checked into it yet but I think you can apply for a refund. If not from the DMV, then at tax time.

sailor2000

In Texas, they will give you credit for tax paid out of state. If you paid more than what you would owe in Texas (6.25%) in another state, they don't refund the difference.

Unfortunately, GL charges 8.25% for texas sales tax, which is wrong on a motor vehicle but correct for other things. Don't know how I am going to get that extra 2% they are collecting back.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call them and tell them. Make sure you can quote the statute that shows this or tell them that your "contact at the DMV" said if they have any questions, call the DMV. They respond well to specific statutes, especially if you provide them a link to the states website where it can be seen by them.

They have been doing this for years. They are lazy and got in over their heads with this contract regarding vehicles and taxing, titling, etc.. When I bought a truck in MD, I complained and told them that vehicles were exempt from sales tax in MD. They told me that they were required to charge tax on everything they sell, but I could apply for a refund through the state. So, I told them where they could find the proof that motor vehicles are exempt from sales tax in the MD code and that I expected a refund, because they broke the law. They backed down and refunded the tax and told me "The people at the sites are listing the vehicles with the wrong tax code, so our system doesn't know they aren't taxed when it is processed." They also told me that they would make sure they fixed this. I have yet to buy another vehicle in MD, but I doubt they have fixed it.

They also have charged (and refunded under pressure from me) taxes on every vehicle and trailer purchase I have made in PA (over the course of years), since PA does not charge non-residents tax on motor vehicles (to include trailers). They haven't "fixed" that flaw yet, so I get to call them every time and remind them that I pay those taxes in MD.

They suck, but they can be "shown the light". Especially when they are breaking the law...

Michael

Montgomery, Al apparently charges 10% sales tax which I paid on some CUCVs and then MS insisted on me paying tax again when I titled it. Lavinia was 9.75%, I haven't titled that one yet,