• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Teardrop Spotlight Project

Hey Fellas,

Today I finished a project I've been working on for a few days.
I have always liked the teardrop style police car / fire truck spotlights. I have always wanted to mount one on the Deuce for many reasons, not the least of which is the sheer cool factor. [thumbzup]

I bought one at a truck show last August and just this week got around to cleaning it up. It had a six volt bulb in it, so that was the first thing to do. I had to prep the surface with scuff pads and a sanding sponge to get a paintable surface. Coated it 3 times with primer and scuffed it again. Next came the Krylon camo olive (not a perfect match but looks good for now, painting the whole truck in the spring). A couple more coats of Krylon and it was ready for install. I had debated about where I was going to mount it but ultimately decided to go with the spot where the 530C fire trucks have them, in the hardtop above the windshield frame. Used some caulking as a gasket and shot it with some Krylon to conceal it. I mounted it at this particular angle for a couple of reasons.
Lowers the hand control to a point where it can be manipulated easily.
Allows for maximum rotation .
Prevents the driver's door window from striking it when rolled up.

The spotlight is self-grounding so just one wire is needed. I ran it to the rear of the hardtop and down to a quick connect plug (easier during hardtop removal).
I put the switch above the switch for the convoy lights, I also interfaced that wire with the feed for the convoy lights so the Spot can only be turnrd on when the brake light or service drive switch is on.

Here are some pics, let me know what you think!! [thumbzup]
-GM

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pics, let me know what you think!!
I don't like it, please take it out...2cents

The handle inside bothers me alot.

Bill W

Thats good
It would bother the heck out of me but then again the wiper motor bothers me on my truck being I can't get the dang seat to go any lower

Another Ahab

Had to alter this to allow installation of my light bar.
Needed to eliminate the angle and go for a reinforced flat mount. Also needed to extend the shaft out a couple inches, got the handle more out of the way.
That's areal nice looking job. It looks great. [thumbzup]

How did you manage that extension with the 3"+/- "nipple":

- It doesn't look threaded or brazed or anything.

What did you do there, adhesive of some kind maybe?

No adhesive, two different sized tubes cut to the same length. Inserted the inner tube and left the same amount exposed as the pivot section on the original piece making a perfect male/female extension.

Another Ahab

No adhesive, two different sized tubes cut to the same length. Inserted the inner tube and left the same amount exposed as the pivot section on the original piece making a perfect male/female extension.
So that is only a "pressure-fit" to mate the tubes?

I know it CAN work fine, and fit tight that way, but just curious:

- You feel confident in that?

So that is only a "pressure-fit" to mate the tubes?

I know it CAN work fine, and fit tight that way, but just curious:

- You feel confident in that?
The set screw on the base holds the entire assembly tightly together by clamping the control shaft (visible in the third pic) in place, the swivel end has been lubed with anti-seize to prevent rust. I have no concerns with the way I built the extension nor do I have any doubts about the overall durability.

Another Ahab

The set screw on the base holds the entire assembly tightly together by clamping the control shaft (visible in the third pic) in place, the swivel end has been lubed with anti-seize to prevent rust. I have no concerns with the way I built the extension nor do I have any doubts about the overall durability.
That's what I was getting at:

- The pics can't tell all the story to an "outsider".

- But YOU can tell if it's solid or not, and that's what I meant asking about your confidence (you're there; you'll know). [thumbzup]