• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tec tip of the day.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your running a PTO watch for water build up in the front and rear rubber boots on the selector shaft. When deep fording be sure to drain the best you can and add appropriate lube to shaft as soon a possible.

Last edited:

Somemedic

Actually got my winch to work today. While I, gentlemen, may have read the manual on its proper operation it would seem that the clutch lever has not. Sometimes it engages and othertimes it just dont wanna move until you hand wind it and then the gears mesh. But it is cool to hear it working:twisted:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your running a PTO watch for water build up in the front and rear rubber boots on the selector shaft. When deep fording be sure to drain the best you can and add appropriate lube to shaft as soon a possible.
I put plenty of silicon grease inside the (OD Iron) boots and instead of letting the small end slide free on the shaft I install the end rim pressed between custom made stainless washers bolted to the end of the shaft, on both ends. At least that keeps them sealed against water/dirt for as long as the rubber lasts and stays flexible and it sure prevents the shaft from corrosion/pitting just where the oil seal should do its work: keep oil inside!

G.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually got my winch to work today. While I, gentlemen, may have read the manual on its proper operation it would seem that the clutch lever has not. Sometimes it engages and othertimes it just dont wanna move until you hand wind it and then the gears mesh. But it is cool to hear it working:twisted:
Your winch is working like it should. The clutch you're talking about isn't a clutch but a set of "dogs". Unless your drum stops just right you will have to turn the drum a little so the dogs will line up and go in. Don't do this under power because you are standing in a unsafe place and it's hard on the dogs.