• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tell me about the clutch please.

kindapointless

hi all after doing some research on what i want i keep coming back to i hate automatics. My left foot isnt that good but it functions some. I can drive an old 80s model ford truck with that nice cable clutch but not my audis with the hydralic. With the reduced sensation i couldnt feel the clutch. So my question is how stiff is tge clutch in a 800 series? What is length of travel? How easy is it to burn the clutch in your opinion and lastly how much of a beast is it to replace one? I just sunk 3k into my broncos auto to get it where i wanted and i still hate it. Im leaning more towards the 800 vs 900 because of transmission only. I kind of think the challenge of getting all the other gizmos (ctis) fully functional would be fun.

91W350

I am a manual guy too, I think the 800 is a better looking truck. I have to say though, the Allison they put in the 939 series is very tough. One thing I do not like about it is how violently it downshifts when slowing.

You will find that about every five ton has a different feel to the clutch. A blanket answer is pretty tough, depends on linkage adjustments, pressure plate health....

I would not be afraid of the 5 speed Allison in the five ton. It is common knowledge here on the forums that we have several 939 series trucks for parts, absolutely no requests for transmissions.

The Allison in the M35A3 is a whole different story though. Glen

kindapointless

Im just afraid of blowing up an auto. I nuke everyone i have ever owned, not the autos fault. I cant help but be a redneck and add more power and drive like im stupid off road. Most autos will handle more power if you are easy on them, therin lies the problem, Im not. Will the auto handle a bigcam swap? I might of already found one.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Allison transmission in the 900 series is rated to 300HP and sits behind an engine rated for 240HP. Granted if you are that good at it you can find a way to break the transmission but it won't be from too much power.

Now, put a 400 Cummins in it and you are asking for trouble.

If I want more power I'll get a Freightliner or KW or Pete to drive.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you were closer I'd let you try my 809 clutch. Honestly it's not too bad. It's got a fairly long travel, but its not too stiff. I don't know how easy they are to burn up, but I have to imagine they're pretty tough. As crashee put it they were built to resist 18yr old Soldiers that drive 'em like they stole 'em.

kindapointless

As long as the clutch doesn't need fine control like the newer hydraulic ones on sports cars i think i would be fine. Im just planning ahead cause i know i will eventually put more power to it. Im leaning towards one of the wreckers and they are heavy pigs so i will eventually repower especially since i can get a big cam for free. I kind of figured these trucks are similar to my smaller ones in regard to bigger tires and more power leaves the auto going kaboom. Or will a 816 or 936 have plenty of power with lets say 53" tires to drag a good load up a hill?

Cycletek

Remember, you can supercharge a school bus, but it is still a school bus. You are going to break stuff, if you try to beat on these trucks. The 800 series trucks start at 21,000 pounds and go up from there. Don't say we didn't warn you, these are 25 year old plus vehicles and when you get it going fast, what are you going to do about the drum brakes that were designed for a truck that tops out at 55 mph.......A Deuce is a lot more forgiving and is a lot lighter, everything on a 8 or 9 series is twice as heavy......put your big Cam in it....I own a M813 as you can see, big tires suck the power out of these trucks, my 14.00x20's are a compromise. These trucks are gear bound and are designed to take how they are built and just a little bit more....just my two cents 2cents

kindapointless

Speed wouldn't be what Im after it would be torque. Im looking at the massive difference in weight between a wrecker and not seeing a matching increase in torque. Looking at it in a power to weight relationship the wrecker is worse and still expected to drag a equally massive load. I was just looking at bringing the power to weight relationship back in line with a typical 800 series and maybe a lil more to account for larger tires and a load. I just can't help but tinker with everything. I like researching stuff before i do anything, broken too much stuff just guessing. Found out too late a couple times that a different object would of been better to start with then the one i had.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:a nother guy and I at the FMS shop here in cal guard use to say "its not a real truck unless its a stick shift" :D FMS (Field Maintance Shop) old name was OMS Shop( org maint shop.)

Brad Nitzke

I say just leave it the way they are. and hay, im 17, if it was some other truck (non-military) i'd say go for it. do what ever u want to it. but not on this stuff. most of us have them to protect history, no to see how fast we can blow them up. just my 2cents oh and when you do blow it up, dont come back here and complain bout it. :deadhorse:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced a pressure plate, disc, pilot bearing, throwout bearing (w/ yoke) and machined the flywheel. Disc was oil soaked from a bad rear main seal (also replaced). Hardest part was dropping the transmission, but everything else went fairly easy.

The clutch operation in my truck is very forgiving, smooth and not tight. The travel is a bit long but I normally never push it all the way to the floor. I watch where my window crank is when I clutch because my knee likes to hit it.

kindapointless

I don't complain when when I blow stuff up only when I get blown up. That's why I'm asking about the clutch, a bad deal in Iraq left my foot with limited feeling and movement. The reference to the sports car clutch is because I can no longer drive my Audi tt with its twitchy hydraulic clutch but I can drive a old ford truck with a stiff cable clutch. As for not modding it to make it mine I will not comment to much on that but you must cry every time you go to a car cause they never made near as many camaro ss or old Bel airs as you see. Thank you all for your responses. At least I'm not making a bobber, I was thinking it would be like adding 4 wheel discs and power steering to my 72 mustang just a lil upgrade to make it more liveable.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be someone close that will let you drive one to see how it feels. My 5-ton is not that bad.

kindapointless

From the sounds of it they seem like a nice stiff clutch which I can operate its the easy to push clutches I have problems with. I'm not trying to go fast with 5 ton just add tourqe. Even with the big cam rpms are the same so no increase in road speed. I don't even have one yet (just bid on one though) I'm just trying to find out my options. I was just thinking a wrecker weighs more then any other so it would be nice to have the same power to weight ratio since these are designed to tow. I plan on actually using this truck for projects around my property and I'm sure this will just be the first in my fleet so I could tow others that I will get in the future.