• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temp Sender Question

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there two temperature senders? When I start my LMTV, the water temperature warning light (and "STOP" light) are illuminated on the dash. However, the water temperature gauge seems to be working (after some driving, it will move up and read like 170°). I've looked through the wiring diagrams, as convoluted as they are, and only seem to see the one temperature sender (above the water pump, with pin for wire connector facing rearward). Any ideas? Thanks!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know only the one.
One is gauge sending unit
The other works the the fan.
My fan comes on at a tan over 200 if your fan comes on then you have a faulty sending unit or gauge

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there two temperature senders? When I start my LMTV, the water temperature warning light (and "STOP" light) are illuminated on the dash. However, the water temperature gauge seems to be working (after some driving, it will move up and read like 170°). I've looked through the wiring diagrams, as convoluted as they are, and only seem to see the one temperature sender (above the water pump, with pin for wire connector facing rearward). Any ideas? Thanks!
Does the " water temp warning light " stay on? Does your fan cycle on and off as your temperature hits around 200?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the " water temp warning light " stay on? Does your fan cycle on and off as your temperature hits around 200?
Yes, the water temp light stays on. It didn't use to, this is just a new thing that started. The fan doesn't cycle on and off, but that's because the clutch is bad so it's frozen in engaged position, but that was happening before this light issue.

Anyone know which sender controls the fan?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take one off short to ground if temp light comes on that one would be temp light. If not then it's the fan.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 3 senders (well, 2 are technically switches). The one in the metal hose going forward to the radiator is the fan clutch switch. The one in the thermostat housing is for the temp gauge in the cab. The one facing rearward from the thermostat housing, kind of above the alternator, is the overheat warning.