• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temp switch problem?

mr.travo

Ok, I have been looking at manuals, searching here, and asking google it's opinion.

A week ago I was putting on new belts and I accidentally hit the temp switch and it broke the tab off that the spade hooks in to. Ever since then, my truck is a PITA to start. It ended up being I would have to cycle the glow plugs twice to hit it in the morning. The wait light stays on for 30 to 60 seconds (the longest it's ever had to stay on). The second time I would cycle them the wait light would stay on for about 10 seconds and that's how I knew it caught and it would fire right up.

Well, this morning I had to cycle the plugs 4 or 5 times before it fired. The wait light stayed on for the 30 to 60 seconds and there was no joy. Finally, it fired and I was on my way.

Today I stopped at Auto Zone and I forgot the part number I needed. The nice, but clueless, guy behind the counter got me PN TU66. Once I got home I looked it up and it says that the application is for "with gauge". It showed PN TU78 "with light". So my questions are as follows-

1. Could this temp switch have anything to do with the hard starting? It was NEVER a problem until I broke the tab. It only does it in the morning. I replaced all the glow plugs last winter (AC60's if I remember correctly), dielectric greased them, waterproof connectors, and 12v glow plug setup (instead of the 24v dropped down to 12v).

2. Would this switch even work for the idiot light? I am sure the answer is "no", but hey never hurts to get a second opinion. I have been wrong before once or twice in my life. :mrgreen:

As always, thanks guys!

Travo

hlcrkfrm

I believe their is a temp sencer that tells the glow plugs how long to stay on, but I don't know if it's the one you are talking about.

mr.travo

So I went ahead and exchanged the sensor for the correct one. I wrenched it in and plugged it up. I have noticed no change other than the wait light isn't staying on forever. I guess the morning will be the true test. If the wait light isn't staying on longer than it usually does, but it's hard to start than I will be testing glow plugs and glow plug sensor. If those check out ok, then I am betting that I am developing a small leak in the fuel system and the fuel is slowly dropping back into the tank. Who knows though. One thing at a time. [thumbzup]

Travo

mr.travo

Ok, so no change this morning. It's getting plenty of fuel because I could smell it loud and clear!

If I get some free time today, I am going to troubleshoot the GP system again and see what I come up with.