• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

temperature of tranny and transfercase

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was driving to work the other day and pulled over at the first of 3 stops I always make to check her out.

I crawled under her and placed fingers on the transfer and transmission and they were both HOT, had to yank my digits off fast, like not even 1 second!

I checked all fluids the day before I left and the trans and transfer case both were at the one knuckle under rule...Even changed the LO in the tranny 3 weeks before.

What are the normal operating temps for the transfer and tranny?

Last edited:

deathrowdave

Trans and transfer case with GL-1 (50w) will seem hot to touch after a long drive at road speed . Compare to oil temp. in oil pan of engine , big difference !!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the trans and t-case will get VERY hot after an hour or more of run time at speed. I hit mine with an IR thermometer after a 2 hr drive and after 5 min of stop time it was at 160.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, those search results are temporary. I do not know how long they last but it isn't more than a few hours. When you do a search, the site assigns your search a # and holds that search and it's results for awhile, then discards it.

In the future, you will need to provide links.
Cool Beans Clinto, didn't know that! So, how do I provide links???

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool Beans Clinto, didn't know that! So, how do I provide links???
After you find the thread you want to link, up on the address bar at the top of the internet browser, highlite it and right click/copy it. go to the thread you want to put the link into, right click in the field and hit paste.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I measured the temperature of my transmission and transfer case after a long freeway run on a hot day. The temperature was around 155.

I wasn't too worried about that, but the temperature of the right front wheel bearing was 275. The others were all around 100 degrees, 15 over ambient.

BTW, if you are going to check temps on your truck with your hand, use the back of your hand.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you find the thread you want to link, up on the address bar at the top of the internet browser, highlite it and right click/copy it. go to the thread you want to put the link into, right click in the field and hit paste.
OK, thats what I did with the search...so i gotta click through to the page/thread and hilite/copy/paste...Thanks Will!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked the transmission and transfer case on my truck with an IR thermometer on the way to the GA rally last year and the transmission was around 150 and the transfer was about 180. I also checked the deuce next to mine and the temperatures were very close to mine. On both trucks the transfer case ran hotter than the transmission.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, thats what I did with the search...so i gotta click through to the page/thread and hilite/copy/paste...Thanks Will!
Actually, you don't have to go quite that far..............

Do your search and once you are viewing the results and you see a thread that you know is the right one (so you don't have to open it and read it), you can place your cursor over the link, right click and then choose "copy link location" and then you can paste that directly into your answer.

:D

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, you don't have to go quite that far..............

Do your search and once you are viewing the results and you see a thread that you know is the right one (so you don't have to open it and read it), you can place your cursor over the link, right click and then choose "copy link location" and then you can paste that directly into your answer.

:D
I did not know which ones were relevent to the post so I just copied the search and figured someone else could sort it out. Thanks for the info!

Jimma

Since seeing and touching is believing and you dont want to use a digital or infared instument to check the temperature can you be old school and come see if my fan is actually turning while the truck is running by doing the touch test? :cookoo: Just kidding.... I could not resist.

jimh1985

Mine stays hot, if you drive long enough you will get a nice warm heat coming out of the floor. Makes those cold night rides so much better. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks