• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temporary Insurance Question (Binder Policy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian46

Hi Guys, Hopefully someone has done this before and can give me some insight on what I need to do.

I am looking at buying a M-917 in Michigan and I am planning on driving it to the west coast (Washington) to be exact. I am actually Canadian and will be exporting the truck once it reaches there (not that it should make a difference)

My question is, can US insurance companies issue a binder policy for me to make this drive? and what is required on my part in terms of compliance with a commercial vehicle that is being driven only for personal use and it being EX military?

I have my Canadian CDL and am legally able to drive the vehicle, but I am not sure if I need to follow all the commercial vehicle laws in regards to safety equipment, chains, etc when I am basically just transporting it to a destination unladen and not for hire. Once I get it home it will be insured for farm use here in Canada.

If anyone here has driven an ex millitary vehicle on a binder policy over scales before please let me know what you were required to carry in terms of paperwork and safety gear.

Thanks, Brian

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As a minimum you should have a fire extingusher, warning triangles and other safety items with you for the long drive.

If you expect to hit ice and snow tire chains are a good idea. Some states won't allow you on icy roads without them.

Do you have a valid Medical Card for your Canadian CDL? Even though I do not drive commercially my state requires that I have one or they will revoke my CDL.

I never stop at Weigh Stations in my MV's.......I have never had them run me down and ask questions.

Your milage my vary.

Brian46

As a minimum you should have a fire extingusher, warning triangles and other safety items with you for the long drive.

If you expect to hit ice and snow tire chains are a good idea. Some states won't allow you on icy roads without them.

Do you have a valid Medical Card for your Canadian CDL? Even though I do not drive commercially my state requires that I have one or they will revoke my CDL.

I never stop at Weigh Stations in my MV's.......I have never had them run me down and ask questions.

Your milage my vary.
In canada we do not need a medical card with our CDL and it has never been an issue even when getting pulled in at a scale for me in the US, we all have healthcare coverage through our government up here.

I am surprised than you don't need to stop at scales there, once I get the vehicle to Canada I will have to regardless of what it is, It goes strictly by licenced GVW here.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
In canada we do not need a medical card with our CDL and it has never been an issue even when getting pulled in at a scale for me in the US, we all have healthcare coverage through our government up here.
A Medical Card is basically a wallet sized short form of a DOT Physical that is required to operate a Commercial Vehicle here. You have to have a medical examination by a doctor who affirms that you have no health issues that would cause you to be a danger to the general public or yourself.

There are certain medical conditions and medications that will disqualify a person from getting a Medical Card and operating a Commercial Vehicle (or private vehicle for that matter). Epilepsey is one of those conditions.

It has nothing to do with having medical insurance.

Triple C

My $.02, when I called the MO DOT about stopping at scales they said, "Don't do it." She also told me not to buy a trip permit. The lady said, if you buy a permit, you are going to be required to abide by commercial regulations. As a private owner, not for hire, I was not required to buy a permit or stop at scales. I had thirty days from purchase to drive it home on the bill of sale. Her position (right or wrong) was that Missouri's rules apply since I was a residence of Mo. If she is correct, then it would seem your canadian rules would apply? Insurance is cheap, I would go ahead and get it as soon as you own the vehicle. Good luck.

Brian46

Makes sense, I guess since I would be buying the insurance to drive it home in michigan it would be best to just ask the broker there what the requirements are. I just don't want to get stuck somewhere because of a state with a different law or a huge fine.

Goose2448

All state's, except CA(some cases), recognize your home state's laws. And most consider Canada another state. Just drive it like you would your pregnant roller-skate. I would however put Not For Hire on the doors. All other recovery things are still needed, tools, TM's, all that jazz. As you know from driving Commercially in the US, you apparently don't need a Med Card. We do. I even have to have it if I am walking down the street, or riding my bike. Its part of my Licence. Why they don't just add that info into the Chip on the Licence Card, I don't know. It would make life simpler.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why they don't just add that info into the Chip on the Licence Card, I don't know. It would make life simpler.
Because drivers licenses typically are good for 4 or 5 years , medical cards are only good for 2 or 3 . Plus some medical conditions still allow you to drive but require annual renewal of your medical card .

rneely

Just get it insured from your Canadian Insurance company that insures yout other vehicles and drive it as is. Your paid bill of sale and insurance is all you need to get it home. You are not commercial so forget all the commercial stuf and just drive it on home period. Good luck and have fun and take pictures for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.