• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminal Board in back of M1009

erniemigi

I still have the terminal board that is in the back of my M1009 and is still hooked up to the terminal board under the hood, i've read somewhere on here that it is 24 volts running to it, would it be ok for me to just hook it straight to one of the batterys and make it 12volts

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The terminal board in the backseat area on the M1009s are indeed 24v.

You can move the positive lead to the front battery and have 12v for you needs. Just make sure you label it so one in the future doesn't fry something, thinking it is still 24v.

dragon1124

I just touched this in the "what have you done to your CUCV" forum. I called it a junction block. I ordered one since my m1009 did not come with one. I plan to use it for all my radio communication equipment, and some other accessories. I believe if you hook it up to the front battery it'll be 12v. I originally wired my cb radio straight to the front battery with no problems, and plan to do the same with the junction block when it comes in.

erniemigi

some call it a junction block but the TMs call it a Terminal Board, thats what the index called it, just out of curiosity i could not hook it up to the back battery, just wondering.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The back battery does not use the ground block under the hood. The ground of the Terminal board is hooked to the body and the frint battery.

If you moved both leads to the rear battery, that would work but it will depend on what type of equipment you are running and if it uses the "housing" as a ground.

Think of it this way.

You hook up to the rear battery. With stock wiring the "negative" lead at the battery is hooked to the "positive" of the front battery.

If the device uses the case/housing as a ground, if it touches the metal of the body, you will have a direct short and sparks will fly.

This is why GM used the "isolated ground" alternator for GEN2.

Attachments

Last edited:

dragon1124

Please excuse me , I dont think I fully understand the 24v system yet. Am I correct in this understanding for when my extra terminal board comes in... It will be used for cb, and ham radio connections as well as other accessories.

Please help me understand. I can hook up the positive of the board to the positive of the front battery, for the 12v powering. Now the negative I am unsure about. Should I hook it up to the negative of the front battery, or can I hook it up to the negative block on the engine compartment firewall? Sorry about asking, just trying to understand.

erniemigi

from what warthog was telling me is that the positive goes to the front + battery and neg goes to the ground on the terminal board under the hood

mistaken1

The diagram Warthog posted shows that the front battery negative is connected to the vehicle chassis and to the negative terminal board on the firewall.

On my M1009 the negative terminal board in the passenger compartment is connected to the negative terminal board on the firewall.

Using a volt meter place one lead on the negative terminal board and the other lead on a good chassis ground (bare metal, no paint) and you should read 0V as the chassis ground and negative terminal boards are the same point electrically speaking.

pgwaldner

I changed mine to 12 volt. I have an autozone gold battery that has both top and side terminals. I have the regular cables hooked to the top posts as the factory made it, but took the terminal ends from the inside board and attached to the side post terminals. I also moved the slave cable ends to this point to make it 12 volt. I made a jumper set with a slave cable end and old jumper cables to jump 12 volt vehicles without opening hood or clamping to battery terminals. The inside of the truck now has great 12 volt electrical supply for the amp and for a bank of lighter type plugs for 12 volt accessories. Just remember to use fuses or breakers at the terminal block for any of these additions as the terminal block is a non fused direct connection to the battery.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks