• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminus M1009

cucvrus

DSCF6023.jpgDSCF6022.jpgDSCF6021.jpgDSCF6024.jpgThis is another must do on every CUCV I ever buy. I change the master cylinder. When you open the top it appears fine. When you remove the master cylinder and dump the fluid out and look at it see what you find? I bought a new one at Autozone made in USA and less then $50. along with new front calipers and rear wheel cylinders I rebuilt the entire brake system for less the $100.. That is a bargain if you do it up front and avoid the issues later on down the road. just a thought. Do as you wish. i enjoy working on my projects every time I get a chance to. Happy New Year.

cucvrus

I pulled the transmission pan on Terminus M1009 and changed the fluid and filter. i also changed the pan. I used a HMMWV deep sump pan with a drain plug. The old pan had a slight dark spot at the magnet and I expected that being that it plowed snow and glass for the past 20 years. After I serviced that transmission I drained the transfer case and serviced that. The magnet was clean in that as well. After I was done it seemed to shift nicer and go into reverse a bit quicker. Time will tell. I am all ready for another trip off road. I think we need a winter ice cold trip to Reading anthracite or Raucsh Creek.

Another Ahab

I pulled the transmission pan on Terminus M1009 and changed the fluid and filter. i also changed the pan. I used a HMMWV deep sump pan with a drain plug. The old pan had a slight dark spot at the magnet and I expected that being that it plowed snow and glass for the past 20 years. After I serviced that transmission I drained the transfer case and serviced that. The magnet was clean in that as well. After I was done it seemed to shift nicer and go into reverse a bit quicker. Time will tell. I am all ready for another trip off road. I think we need a winter ice cold trip to Reading anthracite or Raucsh Creek.
"Snow and glass", is that a typo (you know like "snow and ice")?

cucvrus

No they used it for pushing glass and recyclable material at the recycling center. the underside was packed with broken glass shards. They did plow snow with it also.

cucvrus

the past 2 days I have been outside working on the adjacent property. I use m1009 as my work vehicle since the property is connected.DSCF6052.jpgDSCF6053.jpgDSCF6056.jpgStill burning in Mr Rusty's old rusty cargo bed.

cucvrus

Well after running Terminus M1009 for a couple days after work on the house site. I did notice that the delay in drive to reverse is still prevalent. It will be fine as long as I drive it and allow the time delay for the shift change. I have seen this in lots of plow trucks. Plowing snow is very hard on a transmission. Forward reverse motion is hard on it. This transmission was overhauled at one time and I thought the fluid change did help a bit. But it still has the delay. It will work for a long time like this. I am the primary driver and aware of the issue. I am not sure there is anything you can do short of rebuilding it to correct that shift delay going into reverse from drive. But time will tell. I don't se it as being a real issue for what I have intended it to be used for. Going forward is quick and responsive no delay.

cucvrus

I have named my salvage yard M1009 Terminus. Today after a long trip to NJ and back I wanted to get something accomplished at home. A short start to finish goal. I thought about my broken rear axle last week on my Crown of Thorns M1009 and then looked at Terminus M1009 and the light bulb shown bright. What if? What if all that was wrong with that rear was the axle also. I had nothing to loose. I jacked it up removed the lug nuts and beat the wheels off the rear axles with a sledge hammer. I blocked it up on the front spring eyes and left the jack down. The rear was hanging in the open. I pulled the right axle out. I lucked out it was broken at the splines almost identical to mine last week. So far so good. I removed the rear 10 bolt cover and the gear oil was like golden honey. Very clean and without any metal on the magnet. I pulled the center pin and removed the left axle the right one not as easy. i went and got the steel rod and hammered the axle piece in so I could pull the C clip. Not so fast. It was not going to cooperate. View attachment 581300I was literally digging pieces of the axle out of the splines and the outer tube. I finally was successful and put the steel rod in from the left side lined it up and hit it with the sledge. The broken stub let loose. It shot out like a cannon. I did not even look for it yet. I wanted to stay on task. I made assessment and a parts list and to Autozone I went. New brake shoes, New brake hardware, New axle seals, New pinion center pin bolt and both E brake cables.
View attachment 581301All these parts for less than $60. And then I went at it. View attachment 581302Anyone ever use these type of pliers for removing the E brake cables? They are very handy. View attachment 581303Both E brake cables removed and the new one checked for proper fit and length before I climb under the truck to install themView attachment 581305View attachment 581304I removed everything from the backing plates. It was hard for me not the remove the backing plates and clean them and paint them but with a little counseling from my family I made it past that point without any issues. . View attachment 581306Can you see what is missing on the right side brake assembly? No cheating. View attachment 581307Do you see it now? I put it back in after a long search in the grass for the piece. View attachment 581308The left side was uneventful. And my camera went dead so this is it for pictures. I did get it back together and it did still have the Gov-Lok in good working order. So I drove it thru the field and tried it out in light dirt. Both rear wheels spin and lock as designed so it was a very successful day here at the farm. The front drive shaft has an issue. The loader must have bent it. No problem I am sure I have one of them to put on. If not for $125. I can have it rebuilt. This is a picture from the past couple weeks so you know what Terminus M1009 looks like. i would like to make it my Rausch Creek M1009 and save the crown of Thorns from such abuse. Speaking of Rausch Creek when is the next trip? View attachment 581314That snow plow has got to go. That is a mils stone hanging around my new toys neck. I will be doing some real cutting and slicing of this vehicle to make it trail friendly. I wanted to sell it but sales are slow and I need a new toy. Thank you for looking. And this work is being done by a non professional so I reserve the right to make errors and show things that are not to your liking. Have a nice day. But I do hope you like it. This would just be a parts vehicle if anyone else had it. And if I had not save it it would not even be here anymore it was literally 2 hours from the crusher pile when I found it.
Maybe this would assist you in making a decision to change both complete axles or just the broken axle shaft. Do as you wish. I opt for less work and great results in the end. Also helps keep the value of your CUCV in check. Other opinions may vary. Just my spin to help you out and spend less time and money and end up with great end results.

cucvrus

DSCF6303.jpgAfter spending a week in the house convalescing from surgery. I decide to take Terminus M1009 for a ride in the snowy/muddy fields. I was succesful in not getting stuck in any snow drifts or piles. I did a lot of driving on paths on the farm and went thru the logging trails in the woods. Terminus M1009 performed flawlessly. I ran in 2WD most of the time and went into 4 WD as needed in the deeper snow. i burned about a 1/4 tank of fuel out. i wanted to make sure the fuel gauge was working since i did the easy fix by reattaching the ground wire that was dangling under the vehicle. Time for lunch. i parked up in the field at exit 90 and walked down for lunch. DSCF6269.jpgHave a great day and keep the CUCV's running. This vehicle is semi-rusty Terminus M1009 but is one of the best all around off road CUCV's I ever owned. 100 % pure stock. Everything works but the horn. I am still looking for a midget to cut the diode and I can replace the contact ring under the steering wheel. it had a combination of issues with the horn. Mainly I think the horn kept blowing so someone went all ham on the contact under the horn button.

bryfor

Is your nickname russ or rusty? Were you in the pa national guard in the 80s? I went to a cucv class in aberdeen and met a couple guys from I believe indian gap. They were both in the national guard. John who was colorblind. ..and russ who drove an m880. Just curious....

cucvrus

CUCVSRUS was just a name that I was given when I was at the GM dealer. I am GM Chevrolet tried and true. I was a fleet / CUCV mechanic and went to several GM schools in the early 80's for training on 6.2 and CUCV's. CUCVRUS was a synonym of TOYSRUS. I liked the CUCV's from the moment I saw the first ones at the GM school. They were different in color the first ones I saw and had narrow tires on the M1009. I talked about them like they were my toys. I was given that name because i worked on all GM fleet vehicles. State & township trucks, State and township police and fire vehicles. And when the CUCV's came out in late 83 I started doing work on them also. The CUCV's were my favorite and thus CUCVSRUS was the name given me. It was on a folder I was given that had my name on it sent by the Mark Body Company Imlay City MI. M1010. CUCV Rick US model M1010. That is the origin of that. I accidently deleted the S when I was logging in on Ebay and setting up an account 20 years ago and I could not change it so I just let it be the new acronym. I guess there is a Canadian model M1010. I hope they were better then the US Models. That is what I remember on the name origin and where it came from. Thanks for asking. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF6456.jpgLast time we were up at Rausch Creek oi noticed how poorly the wipers worked. So today new Anco wipers problem solved that was easy. I am all ready. I ran the Terminus M1009 today and checked all the fluids. Good to go. To cold to paint. :(

cucvrus

Today I installed a dash cam in Terminus M1009. I would post pictures but am unable to load. See you on Facebook. Terminus is all ready for the Spring Rausch Creek run. I still have an open back seat 1 spot. Have a great day. I did some more logging and firewood cutting today.

cucvrus

DSCF6533.jpgI was only allowed to post 1 picture of Terminus M1009. I pulled it out into the driveway from the back field and washed the windows and cleaned and swept the inside of it out. It is good to go. Saturday is approaching. I had a few of the hole drain plugs pulled out last time and it was not a drain but a fill point. Behind the drivers seat it was coming in like a fountain. No more holes I plugged them all. I still have a seat available if someone wants to ride in the back seat. It is a bit dusty but warm and dry and has seat belts. I am going to attach a couple of grab handles to the upper roof area to hang onto.

cucvrus

DSCF6622.jpgDSCF6623.jpgMy Son played a funny one on me. He put a turbo under the hood of Terminus M1009. Needless to say it ended up on the scrap pile with the rest of the junk. it was funny for a second then after that it was heavy and hard to get out from under the hood.

Another Ahab

My Son played a funny one on me. He put a turbo under the hood of Terminus M1009. Needless to say it ended up on the scrap pile with the rest of the junk. it was funny for a second then after that it was heavy and hard to get out from under the hood.
That is sort of funny.

It's got a turbo; it's not running a turbo, but its GOT one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks