• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminus M1009

cucvrus

31955306_10204873157386454_5342639961298436096_n.jpgCool idea. Wonder why I never thought of that? Found this picture on Facebook and stole it. But this is one of my up coming projects. I savaged the 1974 K5 to do this to my hidden M1009. DSCF4740.jpgDSCF4741.jpgDSCF4743.jpgDSCF4744.jpgDSCF4745.jpgI seen the picture and wanted to share. DSCF7607.jpgDonor A pillar. I seen M1007 Suburbans posted here. If I do post will it be moved to hot rodding and modification?

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF4921.jpgDSCF4922.jpgDSCF4923.jpgBusy weekend I had to beat the rain. I received this load of logs from a lot they were clearing at the truck plant. I cut some in to fire wood length and had some hauled in any length that was there. I needed the trailer to run up I 78 and get some top soil for Free from a warehouse construction area. WOW Free dirt. I got 2 scoops just like Kellogg's Raisin Bran. The trailer was a bit heavy but my trusty M1009 handled it with ease. Still all original running gear with exception of replacing the head gaskets in 2010. I did them as a standard maintenance item at this point. Time to go. DSCF4924.jpg DSCF4925.jpgDSCF4926.jpgDSCF4927.jpgDSCF4928.jpgMy Crown of Thorns M1009 spending some quality time with Easter Find 2015. M1008 is about to embark on a new mission and new placement/assignment. The M1009 sets pretty well with the weight. I replaced the springs in 2010 with new ones. Now the task of unloading and sifting the dirt to finish a few spots in the yard. Always something. Hoping to get on a few CUCV projects this season. Have a great day. I hope it stays a bit dry tomorrow.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF7418 (4).jpgThe Good The Bad and The Ugly. The Bad is the only one that remains with me. Still For Sale but still working. DSCF7483.jpgThe Mule M1009 beforeDSCF3786 (2).jpgThe Mule M1009 after being returned to a stock M1009DSCF4477 (1).jpgTerminus M1009 sitting pretty waiting for its next thrashing. Never came. DSCF4002.jpgEaster Find M1008 in the final stages of production.DSCF3160 (1).jpgAnd finally The M1028A1 Mad Cow Disease. All 4 of these CUCV's were thinned from the herd during 2018 so far we still have a few more. My goal is to be CUCVSWASUS. Offer parts and technical support. Have a Great Day. I still have the barn and shed loaded with projects and parts.

cucvrus

DSCF4867.jpgDSCF4866.jpgDSCF4869.jpgDSCF4870.jpgSold another one of my toys yesterday. Guy came from Vero Beach Florida and picked it up. Hated to see it go but I only have so many hours in a day and keeping it cleaned and stored was a PITA. Always afraid of damaging it. It went south as soon as the temp tag was attached. Bon Voyage. Still more to go. Hint.

cucvrus

My goal is to be CUCVSWASUS.

I just received an excellent idea for a new user name. Kubotasrus. I like it. 1 door closes and another door opens. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

DSCF4993.jpgDSCF4994.jpgDSCF4995.jpgDSCF4996.jpgYesterday I sprayed down the entire M1009 Crown of Thorns and used a 3M white scratch pad to wash and scrub the entire truck. I am putting it up for sale and moving on to another project. Looked really good after all that old dead oxidized paint was washed off. Great truck and great memories. Sometimes its time to change the road your on. This path is getting narrow and tiresome. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

I just seen Terminus M1009 in a field pulling an trailer. If it wasn't Terminus it was a twin and in the same 10 mile radius of the guy I sold it to. This is what came to mind when I seen it. 2 side by sides were in the field with it. They were running flat out. I had the high ground from I 78. Looked like fun.
https://youtu.be/pMBnpJoZCzk

cucvrus

View attachment 622927View attachment 622935View attachment 622934View attachment 622933View attachment 622932View attachment 622931View attachment 622930View attachment 622929View attachment 622928View attachment 622936I am changing all the spring bushings and sway bar bushings on Terminus M1009. I am sure if you never changed yours and they are the original ones they need changed. This is a great project to do in one day per axle. Very dirty and when you are done it will make a world of difference with new shocks installed. I needed a torch to heat the rubbers and get the old bushings out. Not hot enough to effect the springs just messy enough to turn your face and hands black and gummy with rubber. Nothing that a little Acetone won't clean up. See how worn the bushings are. the springs are riding steel to steel.
I wanted to ring this topic up again on the frame bushings. I had a guy stop by with his M1028 and they were gone on the right side. That explained the rattle he had. If you never changed yours I recommend doing it soon. It will destroy the frame bracket. that can be replaced but it is easier to just do the bushings. Good Luck.

cucvrus

No need to drop the transmission. It is a fairly straight forward job. I have done many laying on my back in the shade outside. I have done less with the use of a lift and modern shop tools. Outside on the ground is the easiest way I know and I can goal myself on the job to stay fresh and on task.
Day 1. Get everything apart and cleaned up. Repaint everything if possible and make sure you have all the parts to reassemble. Clean yourself up and get a good nights rest.
Day 2. Get everything reassembled and take your time and do it right the first time. DO NOT ALIGN the rear main seal at the rear main bearing cap ends. 3 & 9 is incorrect. 2 & 8 or 1 & 7 will work as always. Hand tighten all bolts before you go and tighten everything. Keep track of where the studs and clamps belong on the oil pan. Most I see are hacked and parts missing. Get the front bolts started straight and seal the 4 corners well. Good Luck.

Bryan2500

No need to drop the transmission. It is a fairly straight forward job. I have done many laying on my back in the shade outside. I have done less with the use of a lift and modern shop tools. Outside on the ground is the easiest way I know and I can goal myself on the job to stay fresh and on task.
Day 1. Get everything apart and cleaned up. Repaint everything if possible and make sure you have all the parts to reassemble. Clean yourself up and get a good nights rest.
Day 2. Get everything reassembled and take your time and do it right the first time. DO NOT ALIGN the rear main seal at the rear main bearing cap ends. 3 & 9 is incorrect. 2 & 8 or 1 & 7 will work as always. Hand tighten all bolts before you go and tighten everything. Keep track of where the studs and clamps belong on the oil pan. Most I see are hacked and parts missing. Get the front bolts started straight and seal the 4 corners well. Good Luck.
Just got it done so far no leaks, but now gen 1 light just turn on , do you know where I can get 1 from

cucvrus

I am on the other side of the country but I get this guy to rebuild all of my electrical stuff and he does a great job and affordable. You can get a self exciting voltage regulator installed then the idiot light don't have to work but the gauge will be your only option to know it is charging. Good Luck.

Last edited:

cucvrus

There is more to rebuilding starters and alternators then throwing a few parts from a kit into them. I think that is why people always have problems with things like this. They want to just replace a few items and ignore the major components that require expensive electrical equipment for diagnosis. That's my thought. I like once off and done right the first time on my vehicles when the issues arise. Easier and cheaper that way. Good Luck. Glad you found someone. Just hope they are competent.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am on the other side of the country but I get this guy to rebuild all of my electrical stuff and he does a great job and affordable. You can get a self exciting voltage regulator installed then the idiot light don't have to work but the gauge will be your only option to know it is charging. Good Luck.
I've been meaning to ask you about them. Thanks for the link!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks