• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terrifying front end shake on XM211

BalooGreen

I need some help, my xm211 shakes like there's no tomorrow when going straight at all speeds. When you go around a turn or even just a slight curve it's fine and drives like a dream compared to the shaking. I'm fairly new to all this and need some pointers. Thank y'all.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel balance and/or worn steering linkage joints could be the culprit. Either put balancing fluid in the tires or have them balanced with weights. Turn the wheel from right to left a bit while a helper watches joints for looseness.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Probably best you park the truck and put the front axle up on jack stands. Next, inspect for loose wheel bearings, worn out tie rod ends, and disintegrated knuckle bearings.

1944mb

Check the king bearings-I'm not sure on these trucks if it happens frequently, but on a big truck, bad king pin bearings will do that. Jack the front end up and grab the tire top and bottom; rock it back and forth and see how much give there is. Have a helper look and see if you have loose wheel bearings or if the knuckle itself rocks and forth. Again, not sure on these trucks, but it can be common on others to set a "preload" on the knuckle. This is done with shims and you use a fish scale to check essentially the amount of force it takes to move the knuckle right and left. I quickly looked through TM 9-8024, but will need to spend sometime and see if they show anything like this. Or maybe there is an overhaul manual that better covers this. Also check even tire pressures, and steering linkages-grab wheel on right and left when jacked up and rock back and forth and see if there is any play-again a helpers eyes are useful.

1944mb

Thanks USMC. I was curious about that TM. Page 201 shows rebuilding the king pin bearings or trunion bearings as the TM calls them. Page 201. Rather then using a fish scale to check pre-load of the bearings they recommend using a torque wrench as the knuckle turns. Nice to have manual to look at!

flatheadvff

Had this problem on our tanker truck, local vol fire dept. Checked for wear in everything repacked all bearings wheel and king. checked all steering linkage and tire pressures. Tires looked good and had good tread. Still had problem finally swapped tires with pair from rear fixed problem. Hope this is helpful info, have you cured your problem yet? just curious. TAnker was m211 by the way.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had this problem on our tanker truck, local vol fire dept. Checked for wear in everything repacked all bearings wheel and king. checked all steering linkage and tire pressures. Tires looked good and had good tread. Still had problem finally swapped tires with pair from rear fixed problem. Hope this is helpful info, have you cured your problem yet? just curious. TAnker was m211 by the way.
I would replace the bad tire/s and or wheel. Your only putting lipstick on a pig by moving them to the rear...

nattieleather

I believe in the KISS method of trouble shooting (Keep It Simple Smiley). Check the tires first. If you can get new rubber for them that would be the best. If not then try swapping as mentioned before. If it is tires then get new rubber and drive on. If that doesn't fix it then try the other checks. In other words start with the simplest thing first and move up from there. But having had an M211 myself in the past I know first hand that bad tires will give you a front end shake that will knock your fillings out. I put new rubber on and it was smooth driving from then on.

USMC 00-08

But having had an M211 myself in the past I know first hand that bad tires will give you a front end shake that will knock your fillings out.
Very true. I have experienced the same thing. A guy I know that drove these in the Army in the 1950's told me this as well. Of course after I needed the tip.

dmetalmiki

Had that happen on the M62 recently, Hit a pothole and the shake (from side to side) rocked the cab so badly I thought it was coming loose! And it chucked one of the rotators clean off the top. Scared my passenger half to death!. Everything tight and good. all bearing adjusted properly. Beats me.
Actually it was like a Willys jeep wheel wobble but 10931/2 times worse. I'm going to investigate further next weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks