• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Test to check Droop

epitts

I ran a small load test to check the droop. I set the gen to 62 Hz and plugged in two heaters and 1000 watt light. The volts stayed at about 122 volts but the Hz drooped to 58.3. Does this seem right, see video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHrbwjzz3lk&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Thanks

ETN550

Check the manual but I think that is too much. 3% or 1.8Hz drop with a full 100% step load from 0% to 100% is a typical spec and not always easy to achieve, I might add. I would settle for 4%. That set is around 6%. I don't know how these 002A's are set up but most of the mil spec non civilian units i have come across have some adjustments to tighten it up. You will need a known combination of loads to get to 5kw. It does not make a difference if it is gradually loaded or step loaded the final result will be the same. I have had to totally reset lots of the smaller units going step by step through the book. It seems many like to turn a screw here or there to solve one particular problem then the whole system gets out of whack. amazing how good they can run with a full tune up.

For those that have asteady load a speed adjustment once settled in is often good enough.

BTW whats with the gages fluttering and near off scale? Nice unit, though. I like the ones on the trailers, very versitile.

Triple Jim

You might be able to increase the governor sensitivity. The manual tells how, and says to increase it until it doesn't quite hunt. It's in the technical manual, page 7.1.

pahunter

I checked and adjusted the droop on my 002 the other day to try and eliminate a little speed fluctuation at no load. I believe the manual said there should be a 1 1/2 hz droop from 0 load to 100% load. That is exactly what mine was set for. I adjusted it for less sensitivity by raising the spring(i forget what that spring is called) and the droop went up to about 2 1/2 hz and there was still a little fluctuation(1/2hz) in speed(no load) so I put it back to the way it was. The speed steadies out under load so I'm guessing its normal.

derf

Did you adjust the governor per the TM?

(3) Sensitivity Adjustment. Adjust governor sensitivity
(no load to full load speed droop) by turning the sensitivity adjusting
ratchet (16) counterclockwise (lower spring) for more
sensitivity (less speed droop when full load is applied) or
clockwise (raise spring) for less sensitivity (more speed droop
when full load is applied). If the governor is too sensitive, a
rapid hunting condition occurs (alternate increasing and
decreasing of speed). Adjust for maximum sensitivity without
hunting.

epitts

Did you adjust the governor per the TM?
Yes I did but will go through the process again. The star wheel seems to move with ease. It did not seem to change the droop much but it did change how much throttle travel you can get. At one point I could not get over 60 Hz with the throttle. So I turned it back the other way. It never did seem to hunt at any time. Governor seems to move freely. I did have the lever off when rebuilding the IP, am wondering if the lever needs to be moved back in the slot more.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks