• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Testing upgrades!

gwag

Plumbed in a cooler for my p/s system since it also pulls double duty running the winch. Also detroited the front 60 WOW! Here are some pics of a little test run monday afternoon!

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your in a wide open Field, for as far as you can see, and you have to drive over the one rock in sight?

I have a milemarker winch to install someday.

84cucv1ton

i like your truck a lot. i have a lockright, crossover, 2wd steering box. my 4" lift kit is in the mail. need to get some brake lines. i have 36" hummer tires for now. need to pick a truck now and get started.

gwag

I just did the crossover, 2wd box, & highsteer about a month ago it steered great but after the detroit in the 60 its a little hard steering again with it in 4x4, I guess it never ends.
I'm not sure if I'll go any farther with it or not I suppose I could tap the box & hydra assist it but I've got a couple suzuki samurais (1 for me and 1 for the 11 year old camera man) that are going to get built up to be pretty much dedicated wheelin' rigs. I'll keep the CUCV to wheel in the meantime then maybe sell it when we get the zukes up & runnin.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to video your boy when he "dominates" a rock with his own ride!

CA_CUCV

nice truck and thanks for the pics. every time I see your truck it gets me inspired to go out and work on mine. How well does the hyd winch work with the steering pump that you have, do you have to rev the engine when you pull?

gwag

nice truck and thanks for the pics. every time I see your truck it gets me inspired to go out and work on mine. How well does the hyd winch work with the steering pump that you have, do you have to rev the engine when you pull?
I've never used it in a recovery situation. It's a 2 speed winch and after I plumbed in the cooler I parked it on a downhill grade and tied onto an REA pole, unspooled it then sucked it back in to get the line snug on the spool. I switched around from high to low and it was at a dead idle in nuetral & pulled it effortlessly!

84cucv1ton

question for you. a kid i meet is parting out a 84 short bed. instead of cutting whats there now i was going to sell it and just use the short bed. think that would work?? thanks

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job! But you might want to replace the white wire ties with black ones before the sun eats them. Don't ask why I know this.
Bruce

gwag

question for you. a kid i meet is parting out a 84 short bed. instead of cutting whats there now i was going to sell it and just use the short bed. think that would work?? thanks
The reason I bobbed my long bed was to get rid of the overhang in the rear. If you switch to a shortbed I'm pretty sure you will have to take a piece out of the frame in front of the rear axle as well as shorten the frame behind the rear axle.
Then you would need to shorten your brake lines and electric wires back to your tail lights. don't forget to shorten your drive shaft and maybe adjust your pinion angle.
You only need to take a little off the rear of the frame. I used a 6" I beam for a rear cross member. I cut the holes in that to remount my pintle then cut a little out of the pintle frame braces and welded them back together.
Bob your long box, it's easy and way faster than converting to a short. I'm sure I had less than 10 hrs into it and the cost of some cut-off blades, welder wire, a little bondo & spray paint.

84cucv1ton

i see what you mean. took a body off a m1031 last might. going to scrap it and put on a p/u bed. short bed would be a good bit more work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks