• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Teton Pass Deuce?

todds112

So I spent all week moving to our new place over in Idaho.

On my last trip over Teton Pass (WY HWY 22) on Sunday I passed a M109 with a paper temp tag. He was struggling up the 10% grade in a near zero visibility torrential down pour. Didn't look like too much fun, but looked like a cool truck.

Anyone here?

Delicious Clint

Hi Todd <is it Todd? checked your profile but couldn't quite tell...>

That was definitely us! I'm not sure if THAT trip is what the State had in mind when they issued a trip permit.....that was our slowest ascent of the trip and quite the experience. I was driving on that stretch and trying to give everybody opportunity to pass when there was enough shoulder. Andy and I were debating getting out to push or using the opportunity to jog alongside and install blinky LED's as ad hoc emergency lights.

I'm hoping to get back that way next year with my wonderful girlfriend (she was the one who insisted, after the last camping season, that we get a beefier truck...long story).

That was quite an experience......after 14 days of nonstop motion I think that any trip around the NW is going to be very do-able. Lots of mods to do to make it more roadworthy -- starting with better wipers and a windshield washing system. And some new glass and rubber seals around the windows so we're not driving from inside a washing machine.

Cheers!

Josh

Driving the deuce in the rain just saves me from having to take a shower when I get home.

Where at in Portland are ya.

todds112

Yup, I'm Todd. You should try that road in the winter. It get's real interesting. Just a couple weeks ago we had an idiot in an over-loaded semi lose his brakes and take one of the run-away ramps. Load shifted and he rolled the truck up onto it's side. Lucky he didn't kill anyone or himself. Huge flashing lights that say, "No Trailers" in the winter and, "60,000 Lbs Max" in summer, but there's always a few truckers that will try it. We've had a few die trying it. This last guy had 78,000 lbs on.

Let me know if you ever come back this way. Sorry, you missed the views that day. On a clear day, it's spectacular.

panshark

Good to hear you're done with the move! I remember the first time I crossed the pass, it was the middle of the night, and it didn't click in my head immediately that I had crossed the top. Made for an interesting next few curves! I was still keeping the revs high in that old ford, and upshifting...then downshifting, white knuckles! A refreshing wake-up after a 2,000 mile trip!

63sierra10

I did Teton Pass in my deuce when I drove it to Fruitland Idaho to have the 109 shelter put on it. The old beast did a good job. I did about 40 the whole way over.

panshark

I did Teton Pass in my deuce when I drove it to Fruitland Idaho to have the 109 shelter put on it. The old beast did a good job. I did about 40 the whole way over.

Did you have your fuel turned up? I haven't gone over the Tetons with my duece yet, but I've hit similar curves/grades at the same altitude, and sometimes it gets embarassing, doing 33 or 35...

63sierra10

At that time I had a different IP on there so I could not tell you. When I finally got to Fruitland it broke down and I had to have the IP replaced. I also was a bit more stupid at that time and did 62 mph on the flats. I just was in the habit of "hold it to the floor" which is what we did in the Army. Though it would do 62 all day long and did it very well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks