• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Texans: how long to get your Former MV plates?

TexAndy

04M-55271 is the Registration Number, 0539-13775 is the VIN (your insurance won't find that number either). What does your SF-97 say? Without a VIN cert the transaction might be rejected, or not, all you can do at this point is wait and see.
The SF97 has the whole thing as the VIN. 04m5527053913775

The insurance company wanted a copy of my title to verify the VIN. They're cool with a copy of the title reciept for now, but they'll want a copy of the actual title as soon as I get it.

And I can't recall now, but I think the SF97 has the VIN I typed in on the SF97 application form. I'm about to do another one in a minute, so I'll know shortly.

I'm not going to worry too much, as the frame does have the last two number blocks... barely. They're not stamped on very well, but they are legible. So I don't think it's going to be an issue if the VIN on the title has a couple more number blocks than the VIN stamped on the frame.

However... for my second deuce, should I go ahead and only input the last two number blocks when I fill out the SF97 application?

eta: OH, one more question.

on the plate, the issued me a 6 digit letter/number combo. If I decide for some reason I want to drive around without the plate, do I need to spray paint that number onto my bumper?

eta: And what do you mean by "the transaction might be rejected?" I've already paid them and everything and I've got the plate.

The lady told me to carry the title app receipt with me inside the truck... so, am I registered now, or not?

Last edited:

Pawnshop

Only enter the VIN on the frame in the "VIN" part of the SF-97 request form, they are going to make out the SF-97 with whatever you send them even if it's wrong.

If you are issued a plate you need to display a plate, the plate number painted on the outside of the truck won't do.

The vin cert is required, don't be surprised if they come looking for it later.

TexAndy

*sigh*

oh well.

I guess it would have been too much to ask for my local tax office people to actually know ANYTHING, right? :-(

eta: do you think I'd have any luck trying to get the VIN changed on the title now, or should I attempt some "minor surgery" on the vehicle? *cough*

Last edited:

Pawnshop

I would leave the frame number alone!!! The numbers on the data plate might be good enough for a curious officer, and we ARE talking about a 40 year old piece of machinery that nobody is likely to think twice about anyway.

The lack of training or GAS (Give A S**t) in the local tax offices is the reason we have all had different experiences registering our FMVs. I am both lucky and cursed to be living in Travis County, the State Capitol, where the tax office is staffed by sticklers who DO GAS. I have learned how to do it right, but the other side of that coin is that I can't get away with anything...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks