• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Texas Division - Drive Across Texas

znettle96

Hey everyone,

I am trying to organize a "Drive across Texas" there is no route and nothing is set in stone. It would be this summer and would like to have it finalized by the end of the month. Please post your location as well as a possible route from your location. Also please post tentative date that you might be available in June or July. This will be a drive to support our Texas military bases and i might have a couple of bases that might send some solders down to ride with us. So, on that note if you have a "beast" or any type of military vehicle your welcome to Join. As well as people from surrounding states!

Lets make this an annual event that people would love to come and see every year!!:grd:

Last edited by a moderator:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
June or July in Texas in an un-air conditioned MV.....I've done that in July and then October in a CUCV, then in a deuce twice times (May and October) and those were bad. It would nearly "de vision" me doing it again since I'm so old. Of course my parents always said it I would do such things I would go blind, hence I now wear glasses and am about blind.

Last edited:

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second with Carnac, it would be way to darn hot to be driving across the great state! It's a cool idea but maybe in the fall would be a better idea.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in San Angelo, and could ride along with a Texas Convoy intercepting it in any of the more major cities in about 100 mile-radius of my LZ. (i.e.: Abiline (I-20)to the north; Brownwood (NE); Brady (East); Ozona or Sonora (I-10) South; or Midland (West) ) It all depends on the inbound and outbound route.

A layover at Historic Fort Concho (National Historic Landmark around which San Angelo was founded and has prospered); San Angelo State Park; or other location could also be arranged.

As for basing the route on various Military Installation locations - We have Goodfellow Air Force Base here, and Dyess AFB in Abilene (90 miles north).

Regarding the summer heat.... I have driven the Deuce in the summer heat, the spring heat, the autumn heat, and the winter bone-chilling cold. I have always figured that if the troops who used these vehicles in wartime could not stand down just because of weather extremes, then who am I to complain. HOWEVER, if i had my druthers, I'd rather plan a more assuredly pleasant time of year. (But I'm not the organizer, just hoping to ride along.)

I hope my input helps.
John

znettle96

I defiantly appreciate the input! But i also 2nd what Cold Warrior said! so i have decided to reschedule this for the fall. If i had any suggestions what i did for my CUCV is a Portable pilots AC from sportys pilot shop. He offer a 12v and a 24v AC designed for planes and i love mine!! but yall could look into that for options for AC they can also be Solar Panel powered i run mine off a trickle charger solar panel.

Also while were on the subject are yall interested in having a Texas Division facebook page?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're going to do it in the fall how about organizing around the fall Steel Soldiers event in College Station? I'm not sure of the date but it's usually the same weekend that there's an event at the Museum of the American GI and the only fall item on the calendar is Oct 15th.

richingalveston

I believe the college station thing just happened a couple months ago. I believe it is a spring fling but I could be wrong. They may have something twice a year.

I think that this is a great idea but being looked at the wrong way. A drive across texas is a 4 day to how ever many days you want to make it. It is a big state.
I believe a route should be the first plan. A route that would actually be a cool texas trip something from the old 'eyes of texas' shows type if anyone recalls those.

No one will be able to make an entire trip. and the trip could be done in three or four segments on consecutive weekends or such so that each segment is a two or three day pleasure drive. might even find some offroad adventures on the way.

My point is a route first, then some dates, Probably something that would take a year to build up. Not to say something could not be done this fall, Maybe a test segment.
I like the idea and believe it is something that needs to be explored. Can't make it a cannon ball run. No one wants to do that in an MV.

Rich

Maybe a segment a month so the drive across texas could be a relay that has a hand off to each local chapter. Moving from one side of the state to the other.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything more on this?

The event at the Museum of the American GI is the weekend of Oct 15 in College Station. Also coming up is a Big Bend National Park run at the end of Oct. The thread was started as a LMTV get together but it's open to any and all and for the whole family. No MV is necessary but would be nice to get as many as we can there. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?156764-South-Central-US-LMTV-Get-Together

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks